Quotes for electrical work

Sponsored Links
So, it's no longer just about the cooker. We found an electrician who says, for safety's sake we should replace the fuse board with a modern RCD.

New RCD + moving the isolation switch + cooker installation = c. £700.

That's provided no faults are found when he tests the RCD.

We'll get other opinions, but does this sound fair?

So, it's no longer just about the cooker. We found an electrician who says, for safety's sake we should replace the fuse board with a modern RCD.
Replacing it may be something to consider.
However it has nothing to do with the cooker installation.

Get someone to install the cooker, then obtain several quotes for a new consumer unit if you want one.

Get someone to install the cooker, then obtain several quotes for a new consumer unit if you want one.

Thanks. What would be reasonable to pay someone to install the new consumer unit and move the isolation switch? I'm in London.

Also when you say 'if I want one' does that mean that the existing fuse board isn't unsafe/outdated?

Sponsored Links
Also when you say 'if I want one' does that mean that the existing fuse board isn't unsafe/outdated?
Assuming that it was installed correctly in the first place and has not developed any faults, it will be no less 'safe' than when it was first installed.

The main sense in which some might argue it to be 'unsafe' is that it does not contain the RCD protection that is now required for all new/replacement CUs. To what extent that means it is 'unsafe' is a matter of opinion (the regulations do not 'require' it to be replaced with a modern one) - there are probably still millions of domestic installations out there which are similar to yours.

I suppose you could consider it analogous to driving a very old car which didn't have some of the modern 'safety features' (ABS, air bags, renforced doors etc.). Assuming all was still in good working order (as per when it was built), hence as 'safe' as it was when first sold, would you call it "unsafe"' or not? "Less safe than it could be today" might be a fairer statement.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back