Quotes for electrical work

Sponsored Links
I don't follow why existing cables going in to the wall would be an issue.
Or do new cables need to be installed?

He said the existing cable needed to be replaced with a spark box (and probably a new cable).

Maybe a I should ring Hotpoint and ask them to explain more.

So even if this guy is right and I'm just not explaining it all properly, no-one has any idea how much something like this would cost?

So even if this guy is right and I'm just not explaining it all properly, no-one has any idea how much something like this would cost?

If you want the new CU moving in to the kitchen, probably a lot more than you expect.

As it stands with new board in same spot and new circuit for cooker.
Could be between £500-£750, depending on ease of install.

Sponsored Links
Had this before from someone that had an 'engineer' from currys out.

It needed a cooker outlet (elephants nose) the guy called it a spur box.

Okay there is nothing wrong with the cable coming out of the wall, that is not unusual.
The fact that the cooker control unit is directly above the hob would concern me.

Do we yet have make and model of the new cooker?

Okay there is nothing wrong with the cable coming out of the wall, that is not unusual.
The fact that the cooker control unit is directly above the hob would concern me.

Do we yet have make and model of the new cooker?

HOTPOINT Ultima HUE52PS Electric Ceramic Cooker

The cooker will require a 30A fuse at board, the flex from wall is very likely suitable, but difficult to say for sure by picture.

My main concerns would be that the cooker control unit is directly above the hob, which can be dangerous and is non-compliant with the manufacturers instruction of the cooker. Also it is not advised to have socket outlets within 300mm horizontally from the edge of the hob, so that is an issue.

The cooker will require a 30A fuse at board, the flex from wall is very likely suitable, but difficult to say for sure by picture.

My main concerns would be that the cooker control unit is directly above the hob, which can be dangerous and is non-compliant with the manufacturers instruction of the cooker. Also it is not advised to have socket outlets within 300mm horizontally from the edge of the hob, so that is an issue.

Right. So nothing to do with the circuit breakers?

Also I would expect Hotpoint to employ knowledgeable people. What is it that some people on here have against them?

Ffs. Nothing wrong there at all.

Reaching over a hot hob, to isolate would not appeal to me!
And 300mm guidance distance of socket from hob edge, not exactly great.

It's how it was always done. Not ideal by today's standards, but a perfectly serviceable older installation. Certainly no reason to refuse the connection of a replacement cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back