radiant fire spillage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for previous input on acs preperation . one on spillage .
scenario is radiant fire ie firegem. flue test goes perfectly. assuming no fan present, spigot is not blocked and sufficient space behind spigot for poc exit what else would cause it to spill. its past the flow test perfectly so surely no chimney/flue issues would cause it to spill considering smoke bomb produces tons more smoke. thanks

Sponsored Links
Think you might be going into a bit to much detail. acs isnt that hard just need to know the basics. But about the question not alot really as long as the fire is installed correctly with no blockages in flue and pull is good. some times wind direction outside can affect pull if blows down chimney but if your only want to know for acs thats more than enough

Sponsored Links
A smoke flow test produces far less poc than when the fire is burning.

My guess would be a partially blocked flue!

its past the flow test perfectly so surely no chimney/flue issues would cause it to spill considering smoke bomb produces tons more smoke. thanks

You've totally missed the point there. A smoke bomb tests the integrity of the flue it has nothing at all to dow with pocs

Yep, i agree, our old friend lack of ventilation, try opening a window, if its ok now, then it shows theres lack of ventilation

Yep, i agree, our old friend lack of ventilation, try opening a window, if its ok now, then it shows theres lack of ventilation

Except that I have never found ventilation to fix a spilling appliance.

In a test centre they usuallu put a rag partially blocking the terminal.

Quiteoften the flue will past a fft but fails spillage.

in real life it can go either way round. It sometimes happens the other way the fft is marginal but after heating the flue with the appliance it romps through the spillage test.

for the acs non of their flues are intended to pass but they can only doctor them a little so it is possible that it would pass under the environmental conditions on your day.

Although you will get cases where additional ventilation over and above advantageous will allow a flue to pull . In a test centre i would be looking at cold flue, partially blocked flue/stopper pot or any other means of restricting flue pull .
In the real world i have seen 9by 9 brick chimneys pass a bomb test but because of spiders webs across the pot they have not passed spillage test

Do a search on topic Sillage and on the 11th june this year there is quite a bit listed o causes in real world.
Sorry to dopey to do the link :oops: :oops: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back