Radiator covers any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been getting advice from an interior design expert about some improvements to our 13-y-o home.

One thing she has suggested is to put a radiator cover on the rad in our entrance hall, purely for aesthetic reasons. I'm kind of against this because that one rad has to heat the large, open hall and all the way up to the open landing and I can't help thinking the limited apertures (not to mention the closed top) typical of radiator covers is going to reduce the heat output.

She's told us it would be worth considering replacing the rad with a bigger, double one, but I'm still skeptical about how much heat a cover will let out. How efficient are they?

Sponsored Links
Pretty hopeless really...just like covering your rads with towels.
Only my opinion, I'd think of something else!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I definitely wouldn't go with radiator covers but if you are considering changing it why not change it for a designer rad, it might be more expensive but it will look better and still work!

Heating works best when all the radiators can be seen!

I can never understand why so many want to cover them up!

I have searched for figures but my best guess is the heat output is reduced by about 20-30%

Tony

So, nothing positive to say then...? ;)

Thanks for the responses - pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. :mrgreen:

TopDogPlumbing makes a good point. The single rad we have there is under-specced for the area and even the Designer suggested to us we could replace it with a larger double one (the one good suggestion she had - even if she was planning to then cover it up! :rolleyes: )

So instead maybe I'll task her and the missus with finding a posh-looking new rad which is acceptable uncovered....

Why do people pay interior designers?

Why do they let them have ANY input in a functioning part of the home. . Especially one where, should it stop functioning, causes SWMBO (who as it happens normally engages said nutter with too many lifestyle magazine subscriptions) to moan like billio about being cold.

Guess what my first survey tomorrow is to sort out? :) :LOL:

Awful, awful, awful things. Have also known a leak to go unseen for a long period and cause big damage to a nice expensive floor because of one. If you MUST have covers, at least put grills in the top where most of the heat comes from. Designer radiators are pretty nice though these days, good shout from TopDog (I did the same recently in my bathroom instead of a towel rail which gave off virtually an undetectable amount of heat!).

i have made many a radiator cover they have a 100mm slot over most off the width at the bottom
they have around 60mm slot at the top under the top
the front will be 40% open [50/50 mesh and structural timber]

and yes if the stat is inside the cover you need to turn it up by several degrees and with a time delay it gets up to temperature
i agree even with at least 50mm clearance all round the covers you will loose 25-33% efficiency but only if the heating is on a timed cycle rather than continuous

i definitely try and discourage on outside walls as the higher average temperature means greater heat loss through the wall

Actually it was not a guess but informed judgement based on my experiences of customer's installations!

Despite their name, radiators only emit a very small percentage of their heat by radiation, especially if they are painted in white or pastel colours. (black surfaces emit the most radiation) Most of a radiators heat is emitted by convection, especially if they have 'fins'

With a double radiator, three of the four hot surfaces are shielded from the room already, leaving only the single forward facing surface to radiate into the room anyway, and the radiation from this isn't lost entirely if a radiator cover has a fairly open front panel.

So, the important thing is not to lose the convection by making sure that the design of the cabinet allows a good flow of air over the hot surfaces and is unimpeded where it enters and exits, which means a good opening the length of the radiator at the top immediately under the shelf, and another at the bottom to let air in.

I faced a similar concern when installing one in my lounge. But have not detected any difference in its performance.

That's exactly how I understood it, stem.

Which is why I asked the question - most covers I've seen don't have significant openings at the base to allow the entry of air and even fewer have openings at the top to allow the heated air to convect directly upwards into the room as the radiator is intended to function.

Unfortunately, I fear that the main purpose of these covers is to keep as much of the rad as possible enclosed and out of site, and that one with a significant top opening wouldn't be acceptable for aesthetic reasons...

After all, you wouldn't be able to put ornaments and flowers and stuff on the top then, would you? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back