Rainwater not run to drain, pours into garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I live in a semi, and we have a patio at the back of the house, what I noticed is that the part of the roof sloping backwards has downpipes connected to the patio roof. I also have another downpipe which meets the downpipe of the patio on the surface of the garden, when I lifted up some of the patio boards, I noticed there is no gully under the patio as such, and the rain water is simply left to pour on the garden where the patio ends.

I am not sure if this is right, we have been living here for just over a year and I have not really taken time to check how it all links. The nearest drain/gully is at the other side of the house, so to get to it, a pipe will need to run the whole width of the house, then directed towards the side of the building which is where the nearest gully is.

Sponsored Links
Hello platforminc
Not sure you have used very clear language here - a 'patio' is usually a paved open area adjacent to the rear of a house - so not sure what you mean by a 'patio roof'. Maybe you meant conservatory? Also not sure what 'part of the roof sloping backward' means ?
Assuming you meant 'conservatory', then it sounds as if the conservatory builders have simply chosen the easiest bodge possible - it's very unlikely that your original house gutter downpipes would have just had an open outlet onto the garden, they would have been connected to a soakaway. What has your neighbour got ?

When he (platforminc) said "patio boards" I'm thinking he means decking! So when he said "Patio roof" maybe he means a lean-to over the decking.
With that in mind maybe he is trying to say
Hi All

I live in a semi, and we have decking at the back of the house, what I noticed is that the part of the [house] roof sloping backwards has downpipes connected to the lean-to roof. I also have another downpipe which meets the downpipe of the decking on the surface of the garden, when I lifted up some of the decking boards, I noticed there is no gully under the decking as such, and the rain water is simply left to pour on the garden where the decking ends.

I am not sure if this is right, we have been living here for just over a year and I have not really taken time to check how it all links. The nearest drain/gully is at the other side of the house, so to get to it, a pipe will need to run the whole width of the house, then directed towards the side of the building which is where the nearest gully is.

Yes you are right, I meant decking. Sorry about the confusion. I have put together a small diagram here.

The red lines are the decking.
The Green lines are the existing roof gutter, the one to the left is the one carrying water from the main house, this pipe is under the decking, the green line in front of the decking is the decking area roofing, they both meet by a corner, and that corner is where the garden starts from.

The orange circle is my exising gully or drain which waste water currently goes into.
drain.png

When he (platforminc) said "patio boards" I'm thinking he means decking! So when he said "Patio roof" maybe he means a lean-to over the decking.
With that in mind maybe he is trying to say
Hi All

I live in a semi, and we have decking at the back of the house, what I noticed is that the part of the [house] roof sloping backwards has downpipes connected to the lean-to roof. I also have another downpipe which meets the downpipe of the decking on the surface of the garden, when I lifted up some of the decking boards, I noticed there is no gully under the decking as such, and the rain water is simply left to pour on the garden where the decking ends.

Sponsored Links
Roof water usually discharges into guttering and guttering takes the flow to a RWP over a gulley.
Have you had a careful inspection round your house to look for a perhaps overgrown or covered gulley? Esp. below the patio down pipes.
Are you saying that you only have one gulley for the whole house?
Where is your manhole located?
Perhaps a photo of the rear elevation would help?

Waste water gulley may just be that, for waste water. Rainwater may have its own drainage system, go to a soakaway, or its not impossible the downpipe has never been connected to anything, instead discharging onto the floor. What age is the property, and what arrangements are there for rainwater elsewhere on yours and/or the neighbours properties?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back