Ravenheat Boilers

Sponsored Links
Hang on a minute, were all quick to slate these boilers but does anyone actually own one?

Im my locallity there is hundreds of Ravenheats as they used to be made not too far from here and therefore quite popular.

Other than the odd thermocouple and stat they give very little grief. People often ask for them by name as they have had excellent service from thier prevoius Ravenheat boiler.

My dealings with their very helpfull technical desk and backup support network has put Worcester, Vailliant,Baxi (no beating there!) and Glowworm to shame.

Unlike some companies like Vailliant that have switched to cheap components the New ravenheats comes with Grundfos pumps, infact a lot of the components are of a reasonable to high quality.

They are like every other boiler out there, if installed correctly, they should give years of hassle free service.

(ps where is Vaillants and WB free 3 year warrenty??)

a good buy for the budget minded person I think

Guarantees go beyond the law. If Ravenheat want to make theirs subject to conditions, they can.
They can't.
They can.
A guarantee is not the same as the law.
Some boiler manufacturers insist that their boilers are maintained by their own trained personnel if you want their (long) guarantee.
Since Water Systems makes out he knows all about all boilers he'll know which I mean.

Sponsored Links
Some right PC key janglers on here..makes me laugh. :rolleyes: :LOL:

And for a cheap boiler ravenheats have been ok in my book.

Its like cars.. anything and any part can fail on any car..some last 200k (hondas :eek: ) and some fall apart after 50k (rover k series engines :LOL: )

but in all cases different models will last and fail at both ends of the spectrum..just like boilers. :rolleyes:

HarrogateGas said:
Hang on a minute, were all quick to slate these boilers but does anyone actually own one?

Im my locallity there is hundreds of Ravenheats as they used to be made not too far from here and therefore quite popular.

Other than the odd thermocouple and stat they give very little grief. People often ask for them by name as they have had excellent service from thier prevoius Ravenheat boiler.

My dealings with their very helpfull technical desk and backup support network has put Worcester, Vailliant,Baxi (no beating there!) and Glowworm to shame.

Unlike some companies like Vailliant that have switched to cheap components the New ravenheats comes with Grundfos pumps, infact a lot of the components are of a reasonable to high quality.

They are like every other boiler out there, if installed correctly, they should give years of hassle free service.

(ps where is Vaillants and WB free 3 year warrenty??)

a good buy for the budget minded person I think

Ravenheats boast was that they used standard components. Honeywell gas valve, Grundfos pump, etc. The problem was all the other stuff. That cheap combi they made was appalling. All it did was leak. The pipes inside were poorly made and the seals they used were cheap (now good seals don't cost that much). I know of two that were ditched after 5 years because of problems.

They have got their act together better. The condensing boilers are a waste of time except the latest pre-mix burner combis (using the Gioanni heat x or whatever). They have the fan in the hot part of the flue and secondary heat x. Bad news.

One good thing about them is the control system on some models. Condensing boilers work better at lower temps modulating away. But DHW has to be 60C. They have the cylinder stat wired directly into the boiler and when DHW is called the boiler temp goes up to maximum/ This has to be DHW priority system with quick recovery cylinder to operate effectively. Few boiler have this simple and useful function, only the likes of Viessmann and ECO-hometec. Many people have the condensing boiler set to high temps for DHW purposes which reduces efficient, this simple control mechanism improves efficiency and reduces boiler cycling.

BTW, Ravenheats are not that cheap anymore. BIASI have taken that market.

ChrisR said:
Guarantees go beyond the law. If Ravenheat want to make theirs subject to conditions, they can.
They can't.

They can.
A guarantee is not the same as the law.
Some boiler manufacturers insist that their boilers are maintained by their own trained personnel if you want their (long) guarantee.
Since Water Systems makes out he knows all about all boilers he'll know which I mean.

The law is the law. Get that clear. A guarantee can add value over and above that not undercut the law. They cannot insist that only their own people service the product. This was made abundantly clear with cars. Your 3 yr VW guarantee is valid if done by a competent non-dealer garage using VW parts. The dealers were getting away with murder until the independent garages pushed the law on the matter. The same law applies - a product is a product.

Yes i agree their back up is good, i`ve been to the factory on numerous occasions, they`ll test a suspect part free of charge at their site in morley. I still hate them, my opinion, and that of at least 7 customers whos ravenheats now live at morley waste traders. Anyone heard the ad on the radio for a company that`s teamed up with them? Apparantly Ravenheat are award winning! Anyone know in what? Everyone has their prefered boiler, i have a vokera on my wall, changed the heat exchanger a few months ago, first time i`ve had the case off in 7 years! But i don`t quote on them. I guess it`s the same as anything in this industry. Get a name for your product, reliability, build quality, etc, then pinch the pennies back by slowly replacing the parts with a substitute of lesser quality and subsequently lesser cost to the manufacturer.

dan the man said:
Some right PC key janglers on here..makes me laugh. :rolleyes: :LOL:

And for a cheap boiler ravenheats have been ok in my book.

Its like cars.. anything and any part can fail on any car..some last 200k (hondas :eek: ) and some fall apart after 50k (rover k series engines :LOL: )

but in all cases different models will last and fail at both ends of the spectrum..just like boilers. :rolleyes:

So this one is saying all boilers are the same. We may as well all go to B&Q and buy those £300 jobs and be done with.

Water Systems said:-

"""What they are saying is akin to not honouring a guarantee because the fitter was black."""

As long as your black fitter is CORGI registered then Ravenheat will be pleased to honour the extended warranty.

Oh yes, the cheaper boilers are now Heatline ! They have only been imported for the last four years so I dont suppose that WS has heard of them yet. They also have a Grunfoss pump!

Tony

Agile said:
Water Systems said:-

"""What they are saying is akin to not honouring a guarantee because the fitter was black."""

As long as your black fitter is CORGI registered then Ravenheat will be pleased to honour the extended warranty.

The brain of boilers here. He just didn't get it.

If you are competent enough, DIY Gas Work is LEGAL. You DO NOT have to be CORGI registered Just competent in the knowledge and execution of gas work and its laws. How does one display such competency ? surely not by trial !

fitz1 said:
If you are competent enough, DIY Gas Work is LEGAL. You DO NOT have to be CORGI registered Just competent in the knowledge and execution of gas work and its laws. How does one display such competency ? surely not by trial !

The same as any Corgi. By the craft skills. Duh!

this is one of the problems. How can you judge anyone is competant. I know the law states if you are competant then you can't "work" on gas (meaning recieving payment for doing so) unless you are Corgi Reg. but you can for yourself.

How you judge yourself as being competant without with being inspected by CORGI or going to college every 5 years to be re trained is anybodys guess. :rolleyes:

The law is the law.
Find me a law which says someone can't offer an extended guarantee subject to only qualified people working on a product.

To suggest that it only depends on the manufacturer's part being used, is pathetic.

- a product is a product.
Rubbish. Ones with gas in are treated differently.
The same law applies
Who says?

MTS won't come out to their latest boilers if they know it was DIY installed.
BG won't honour their 3 star cover if they know a non-corgi has worked on the system.
I have experience of both - and others.
Water Systems may think it should not be like that, but his opinion doesn't matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back