Re-roof alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right. Crap situation here. Bought a 30 year old house a couple of years ago with a nice tiled roof. Thought to myself, tiled roof, no issues, happy days (see my old thread getting a conservation area slate roof re-done for my roofing woes).

After buying I found out the roof tiles had been painted about 10 years prior.

Turns out the roof leaks in lots of spots.

Have had lots of things done to try and remedy it. All moss cleaned off, ridge repointed all tiles checked etc all to no avail.

Eventually the concensus between a few independent roofers is that in preparing the tiles for painting, the nice glazed top coating was removed and now that much of the paint has gone, the tiles have become porous. Which would explain why it only leaks when there is a long period of rain (doesn't need wind or crazy torrents of water).

So the only suggested option is a complete reroof. Quotes have come in between £14k and £20k.

There's a good chance I simply cannot afford to do something like that, so, if it comes to it, do I have any other options?

Would repainting the tiles potentially sort the issue for another 10 or so years?

Brutal thing to find out after buying the place with a clean bill of health in the home report.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
chuckalicious good evening.

Some dilemma?

Looking at things, I assume the tiles are Rosemary? Clay tile? if so you are very correct raw clay in multiple Scottish overnight severe frosts is not nice.

If the roof was painted as you note some 10 Years ago it would be worth having a look at a re-paint?

This then poses the next question? what paint?

OK painting will be cheaper than a re-roof but? the big but will the paint make the tile water tight again?

As above what paint? Epoxy? or something else.

Sorry no definitive answer.

You have probably been around some old Scottish sea side villages? if so and you were looking at roofs, just so you could avoid some marauding sea gulls there are loads of slated roofs that have been plastered with pitch?

I think that if you can find a "Suitable paint" that may be an option to consider after all moss Removal Et-All

Ken.

Thanks for the reply Ken. There seem to be loads of potential paints out there but it's figuring out, as you say, if it will work.

I will keep this thread updated.

Rosemary clay tiles tend to de-laminate with age, then they become porous! i really cant see how painting them will solve your problem.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what type of tile they are to be honest. Marley something or other seems to ring a bell. Up close the weathered surface looks like aggregate rather than a nice smooth surface.

Here's a photo of one of the tiles that was taken off last year when some vents were fitted.

Brand is Scotcem

You can see how rough the surface is. Just above this point is the line where the tile above it sat and the texture is nice and smooth.

IMG_20170915_151020.jpg

Here's a photo of one of the tiles that was taken off last year when some vents were fitted.

Brand is Scotcem

You can see how rough the surface is. Just above this point is the line where the tile above it sat and the texture is nice and smooth.

View attachment 126815
too close and a picture of the roof would be more useful

Here you go. Nothing to be seen on the roof. The vents were put in after the leaks were spotted, after a roofer suggested the leaks were in fact condensation between the tiles and selotex boards. Not the case.

tile 1.jpg tile 2.jpg roof.jpg

How is it 15k to swap over 2k's worth of tiles? Is the roof larger or more complicated than your photo?

The roof is 13m long and obviously there's 2 sides. I can't really comment on why it costs what I've been quoted, but scaffolding will required and it needs refelted etc. The house is double story at the other end where the ground drops off, you can't see it on the photo.

I'd love it to cost less obviously....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back