Reasonable % for contractor to add for materials etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my first post so go easy please!

Just want to know, what's a reasonable figure for a contractor to add for purchase of materials or equipment/appliances etc?

Or, if my contractor got double glazing installed on my behalf, he has saved me effort, but equally it is something I could have done myself, just a phone call to any of the hundreds of companies floating around.

So while I appreciate that they are saving the homeowner time and effort, is there a limit what they can add on?

I am asking because I suspect my contractor may be overcharging me. I'm in NW London by the way.

Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Not a professional so take my comment with caution.

Believe that in a lot of situations tradesmen will charge retail prices and keep trade discount for themselves. This could be particularly difficult with UPVC double-glazed windows as either :

a) Prices not published
b) Prices are just fantasy and then subject to major haggling

That apart I do not believe there are any laws that relate to mark-up on any goods, so saying someone is overcharging you is not likely to get you very far in any court-case.

If you have just said "ok" , then they can. I believe. charge you what they want and you have to go to court to dispute it.

I'd say that the cost of materials and any mark-up your contractor puts on them is pretty well irrelevant. If you're happy with the overall cost of the job then that's pretty much the end of the story as far as I see it.

Do remember though, that by supplying materials your contractor will also be taking responsibility for the quality of those materials, will put right any problems if the order turns up wrong, and will have to put right any issues arising from materials failing further down the line. All at his own expense.

Nothing causes bad feeling between client and contractor quite as much as client supplied materials ("because they were cheaper on the internet") which don't turn up when the contractor needs them, aren't the right stuff when they do, or cause problems due to inferior quality.

Sponsored Links
10% on commercial - usually contractually stated. Domestic would have thought similar.

10% on commercial - usually contractually stated. Domestic would have thought similar.

and then 5 percent mcd and then 2.5 per cent retention

standard but not in a small company....

Do remember though, that by supplying materials your contractor will also be taking responsibility for the quality of those materials, will put right any problems if the order turns up wrong, and will have to put right any issues arising from materials failing further down the line. All at his own expense.

It's not really 'at his own expense' if he would charge a disproportionate markup! That's the whole point of this post...

It's not really 'at his own expense' if he would charge a disproportionate markup! That's the whole point of this post...

it not only includes the materials its the physical collection and time saved by doing so
if the materials are faulty and he supplies the removal replacement resourcing refitting at his expense
this includes arguing with suppliers new silicon screws or other material all time involved removing and reinstalling

it not only includes the materials its the physical collection and time saved by doing so

I know, I know....but surely there must be a figure that is reasonable for allowing for the collection/time saved, and a figure that is not.

In my example, if the windows cost say only £4k, but he charged me £7k, wouldn't you agree that the additional £3k is NOT a reasonable figure to charge for the time saved?!

I know, I know....but surely there must be a figure that is reasonable for allowing for the collection/time saved, and a figure that is not.

In my example, if the windows cost say only £4k, but he charged me £7k, wouldn't you agree that the additional £3k is NOT a reasonable figure to charge for the time saved?!

its a ballancing act i like to be fair and not be greedy
you go by the contrct and accept the terms and conditions
how many times do you argue the point when you get on a train bus or private hire

or argue in macdonnalds or icelands ??

you go by the contrct and accept the terms and conditions

The contract didnt cover the windows.

Halfway throught the job, contractor offered to obtain windows for £5-6k, then presented me with a figure of £7.5k, which I was happy to pay... for windows (I assumed were) worth 10-15% less.

Not for windows worth £30-40% less!

Now do you understand what I am driving at?

The contract didnt cover the windows.

Well this is where it all starts to fall down really. Normally contracts are, labour only, supply and fit, dayrate etc.

You'll just have to take it on the chin - you said you were happy to pay. You can't start arguing now because you 'think' you've realised his material mark up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back