Reasonable % for contractor to add for materials etc

Do remember though, that by supplying materials your contractor will also be taking responsibility for the quality of those materials, will put right any problems if the order turns up wrong, and will have to put right any issues arising from materials failing further down the line. All at his own expense.

It's not really 'at his own expense' if he would charge a disproportionate markup! That's the whole point of this post...

And also they'll use your time to source and replace.

This is why 60% discounts exist with Jewsons et al. It *IS* a con and it's designed to keep the customer in the dark.

Non-transparent business practices ALWAYS result in somebody getting ripped off.

Establish rules on materials first, discuss 'open book' pricing. Allow them 10% on best price and insist on seeing invoices if you have doubt - but do listen if they have a reason not to use the cheapest supplier.

Sponsored Links
It's not really 'at his own expense' if he would charge a disproportionate markup! That's the whole point of this post...

And also they'll use your time to source and replace.

This is why 60% discounts exist with Jewsons et al. It *IS* a con and it's designed to keep the customer in the dark.

Non-transparent business practices ALWAYS result in somebody getting ripped off.

Establish rules on materials first, discuss 'open book' pricing. Allow them 10% on best price and insist on seeing invoices if you have doubt - but do listen if they have a reason not to use the cheapest supplier.

i wouldnt work for someone that questions my scruples before i even start
why do you think you are being ripped off i just don't get it

its the package you are paying for not just one part
you seem to be denying a man a living wage
if you dont like whats offered go else where

if you try to squeeze on material prices the cost will go else where his overheads dont reduce because you think you are being clever

I know, I know....but surely there must be a figure that is reasonable for allowing for the collection/time saved, and a figure that is not.

In my example, if the windows cost say only £4k, but he charged me £7k, wouldn't you agree that the additional £3k is NOT a reasonable figure to charge for the time saved?!

That's why I said it's the overall cost of the job that matters.

If you were happy with a price of £7K for the whole job, then what does it matter what individual components of it are charged at?

If, on the other hand, you've since found that you could have got the whole job done to the same standard for significantly less - then maybe you should have shopped around a bit more before agreeing to the price?

i wouldnt work for someone that questions my scruples before i even start
why do you think you are being ripped off i just don't get it

its the package you are paying for not just one part
you seem to be denying a man a living wage
if you dont like whats offered go else where

if you try to squeeze on material prices the cost will go else where his overheads dont reduce because you think you are being clever

Not about being clever, about ensuring best value. Before I took over managing contractors, my employers were being significantly ripped off by more than one contractor.

Why should the contractor be able to give one price to the customer, but get another price from the retailer and tell him he paid the first? That's what closed book pricing and industry discounts are about, and the building industry is the worst I've encountered.

In projects where materials are a significant cost, I want open book pricing. Being in the trade myself, I know when an invoice has inflated prices. Builders have a habit of seeing these discounts as perks and free money, but it's paid for by the customer every time. I don't think that's right.

Sponsored Links
mark up is irrelevant as a good trader wont make excessive profits
a bad one will find every opportunity to stretch his profits

your comment should be aimed at the wholesaler and the bad trader as they are the cause off the problem ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back