Reccomend me a combi boiler..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above, can anyone recommend a combi boiler for a 2 bed bungalow. 6 rads. Might need to have one fitted to my Mums bungalow to replace an ageing Biasi. No doubt you’ll probably disagree on models but also, what makes should be avoided? Also, a bit like 'how longs a piece of string' but any rough ideas on the likely total cost. £2k? £3k? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Aha. So any competent gas fitter should determine the gas pressure and flow rates first or can they compare other boilers with the spec of what is fitted already and just get a similar output one?

Sponsored Links
wrong place to ask this advice as we all have our own preferences, some are biased due to loyalty schemes, some just prefer certain brands because they never get any call backs, some will fit the cheapest, most boilers these days come with massive warranty periods 10 or 12 years, find a local installer that you trust that will recommend a boiler and will service it through the whole warranty period or the warranty is worth nothing, I never give advice on here about cost

Intergas offer a 7 or a 10 year warranty, but only if it's installed by one of their platinum dealers. Most boilers come with a 1 year warranty, but there are few with 2 year deals, but I've never come across a 12 year warranty yet.

As you're mum already has a boiler in there, I can't see the gas pressure being an issue, and unless she's going up a level to get a higher shower rate or quicker bath fill, then the existing water flow rate should also be fine.

At just 6 rads in a 2 bed bungalow, a 24Kw boiler will be fine, or a 28 if she wants a better shower. The intergas fitters on here will diss the worcesters, but most other makes seems to get a reasonable rating. Do we assume that yoove got a how water tank, and therefore don't have direct experience of a combi to recommend for her.

Whoever does the job will very likely want to do a powerflush (to guarantee the warranty they'll say), but as long as the system is drained and run clear for a few times, and the inhibitor has been maintaned, then the system should be fine to just have a new one dropped in place. Make use you get a few quotes, read the reviews in the internet, and get a feel for whoevers is installing it - and as alwaysss, try and get a recommendation from a neigbour thats had one installed. We could recommend a boiler,and you could get a crap installer. And 2K should do the job on that sizevery easily, but Ians right, you'll negotiate with the installer at the end of it.

Yes, I have an unvented system. Had a combi in our old house 25 years ago. Heating okay but hot water was useless. The hot water in my Mums house is great though so perhaps combi have moved in a bit.

Went round my Mums tonight and heating engineer was already there. He's the son of her cleaner and is a BG engineer. She had already decided she didn’t want it fixed again and wanted a new one. Oh well, it’s her money and I suppose that probably would have been my preference too - she's 82 now and said a new boiler would 'see her out'. He took some measurements and is getting back tomorrow with a firm price but he reckons to replace it with either a Vaillant or WB, mag filter, powerflush, new condensate drain - says he suspects the existing one is going into a soak-away at the front of the bungalow and he will re-route it into the drain at the back. Also will tidy up the pipes under the sink - someone had fitted a filling loop and a pressure gauge there (will re-site those in the boiler cupboard) and will fit a guard over the flue and supply and fit a new remote thermostat. Of course, inhibitor will be added. All that will come out at around £1,700 and it will be all properly signed off. He said he’d get some other prices for (I think) Ideal and Glo worm boilers and they should be about a couple of hundred quid cheaper. That didn’t seem too bad to me. I suppose they fit ones they are familiar with. At the end of the day it’s him who will be servicing and maintaining it so probably best to go with his suggestion. Turns out he only lives a couple of hundred yards from me anyway so I haven’t got too far to go if there’s any problems. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Not sure how switched on your mum is, but at 82, make sure the thermostat isn't an all singing and dancing wireless stat that'se going to confuse her. Simplicty should be the name of the game here. Have you anyone else coming in to compare against. Not sure about the glo worm, but have a look at the ideal boiler website.

Motman, isn't this the BG employee doing this work "on the side" ? Those here in the know will confirm if he can properly sign off the installation

I believe he may be working on this job with another Gas Safe engineer.

The BG engineer may well be working on the side, or he could be woking pat time for them. Either way, it's the engineer that is gas safe registered, not BG, so he's legal to do the install, unless he's a full time BG emplyoee, then he could be jeapordising his employment contract with BG, but it still wouldn't be an illegal installation.

I have an assistant help me with MOT's. Sometimes the assistant brings the vehicle in for the MOT if it’s a friend, neighbour or relative of theirs. Sometimes it’s even a private job of theirs. However, I’m the one who checks it over and as long as I am satisfied with it, it gets a pass certificate issued and it’s my name on the certificate.

Last edited:
Intergas offer a 7 or a 10 year warranty, but only if it's installed by one of their platinum dealers. Most boilers come with a 1 year warranty, but there are few with 2 year deals, but I've never come across a 12 year warranty yet.

As you're mum already has a boiler in there, I can't see the gas pressure being an issue, and unless she's going up a level to get a higher shower rate or quicker bath fill, then the existing water flow rate should also be fine.

At just 6 rads in a 2 bed bungalow, a 24Kw boiler will be fine, or a 28 if she wants a better shower. The intergas fitters on here will diss the worcesters, but most other makes seems to get a reasonable rating. Do we assume that yoove got a how water tank, and therefore don't have direct experience of a combi to recommend for her.

Whoever does the job will very likely want to do a powerflush (to guarantee the warranty they'll say), but as long as the system is drained and run clear for a few times, and the inhibitor has been maintaned, then the system should be fine to just have a new one dropped in place. Make use you get a few quotes, read the reviews in the internet, and get a feel for whoevers is installing it - and as alwaysss, try and get a recommendation from a neigbour thats had one installed. We could recommend a boiler,and you could get a crap installer. And 2K should do the job on that sizevery easily, but Ians right, you'll negotiate with the installer at the end of it.

Everyone can get the "extended" warranties on Intergas now, not just Platinum installers. It's a "promotion" they're running with an indefinite end. Ariston are doing 12 year warranties, but nobody wants an Ariston...

@Motman Intergas are great boilers, as above they only have 4 moving parts - far fewer than any other - which means they're inherently more reliable. They're also all-metal boilers built to last, unlike the two brands you've mentioned which use plastic and rubber components, and are by far the easiest boiler to service and maintain. Be aware that Vaillant now charge you £90+VAT to attend a call out under warranty, and will only refund you if they agree that the issue is a warranty one. Many here including myself have a long list of reasons why we don't like WB (including servicing them, which is a pain in the arris to do because of the way they're designed).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back