Recent Electircal Work Questions

As one branches from the twin 2.5mm² or a 4mm² cable then either a fuse is put at the origin (FCU) or at the destination with the latter it can only feed one device.
Is that correct?

Once a FCU is used there is no limit to number of devices.
Is it not the same?

What worries me is we can tell you it's all wrong and miss something vital.
More to the point is that no one has said anything the OP has quoted seems to be against the regulations.

Do we have someone who thinks that electrical installations are fundamentally unsatisfactory for some reason?

Sponsored Links
As one branches from the twin 2.5mm² or a 4mm² cable then either a fuse is put at the origin (FCU) or at the destination with the latter it can only feed one device.
Is that correct?
Once a FCU is used there is no limit to number of devices.
Is it not the same?
It's written in a rather confusing fashion, but I think what eric meant was ... if a 2.5mm² cable is connected to a 2.5mm² ring or 4mm² radial (with 30/32A OPC in both cases), then either (a) one has an FCU ("close to the origin of that cable", although that's not totally essential) (i.e. a 'fused spur' of a ring or 'fused branch' of a radial), in which case there is no limit to how many sockets/devices are fed, OR (b) one relies upon the fuses in the plugs at the end of the cable, in which case one can feed only one 'device' (single or double socket) (i.e. an 'unfused spur' of a ring or a 'reduced CSA branch' of a radial). That is all consistent with normal practice, and with Appendix 15 of the regs.
More to the point is that no one has said anything the OP has quoted seems to be against the regulations.
Quite so.
Do we have someone who thinks that electrical installations are fundamentally unsatisfactory for some reason?
As you imply, seemingly no-one who has spoken out.

Kind Regards, John

The red line is the cooker feed, which is original to the original cooker back box, this is where the crimp is inside here. Then easifilled up.

You can also see from the spur there is 2 x twin 13A and extractor (only) feed which is fused.

If this is all OK maybe I worrying unnecessarily........and should give the guy a break.

"Again no problem however although there is no requirement with older properties to comply with the 450mm to 1200mm rules to move out of those parameters a cable that was within them originally may be considered as not complying with building regulations if you have asked some one to break the rules then no law will cover you one can't have a legal contract for an illegal act. "

I have instructed or asked no one to break the law, I employed a professional for his expertise and guidance, but I question this with the Job I'm left with.[/quote]

Sponsored Links

The red line is the cooker feed, which is original to the original cooker back box, this is where the crimp is inside here. Then easifilled up.

You can also see from the spur there is 2 x twin 13A and extractor (only) feed which is fused.

If this is all OK maybe I worrying unnecessarily........and should give the guy a break.

Don't look ok to me, cables not in safe zones.

Looks like a right mess. I wouldn't be happy paying for shoddy work like that.

The most annoying thing here is how little extra effort it would have taken to do things properly and leave a safe and compliant installation.

The most annoying thing here is how little extra effort it would have taken to do things properly and leave a safe and compliant installation.

Would it be possible to illustrate how it should be done, I haven't paid yet so considering the best way forward.

Somewhere there's a safe zone diagram, which I'm sure someone will very kindly post.

electrics:installation_techniques:safezones_1_.jpg

Your wish is my ... :)

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

Basically, all concealed cables must be horizontally or vertically in line with the accessory (eg socket, cooker switch etc).

There should be no hidden cables 'randomly' hidden in the wall.

As mentioned, joints under the floor are more desirable than buried in the wall - but this is more good practice than regulations.

The cooker cable needs redirecting so it runs vertically in the wall above the cooker switch.

The same will apply to those cables, one of which is for the extractor. Not completely sure what the other one does.

The cable from the cooker switch to the outlet is not in a true safe zone either. The best way is vertically from the bottom of the switch box, then right angle to the left side of the outlet box.

Nothing to stop you from coming out horizontally from the righthand side of the switch box, then right angle down to the top of the outlet box.

I don't like the idea of the crimped wires in the redundant socket box. It's likely that the whole area of that box will be filled with wires. So if someone wanted to drill a hole in this area, they would look behind the new socket, and see the new cable, but not know there was a 5 inch wide section of wall with live wires in it.

Wouldn't be too concerned with socket in cupboard, in light of the more concerning faults.

Looks a bodge up, to be honest.

Thanks for the advice. There is a redundant wire which has been left in place, may be the one you are referring to. So the spur off of the ring main which comes from upstairs is OK with 2 x 13A twin sockets and the extractor running from it?

And with the extractor cable should it be at a right angle to the vertical straight across?

What about the cable burying over the otherside this should be a whole new cable joined to the ring?

Thanks for the advice. There is a redundant wire which has been left in place, may be the one you are referring to. So the spur off of the ring main which comes from upstairs is OK with 2 x 13A twin sockets and the extractor running from it?

Ah, that's the cable I'm referring to.

No, doesn't sound ok...

Ah, that's the cable I'm referring to.

No, doesn't sound ok...

So this should all be part of the ring and not done as a spur?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back