reels of 100 yards 4491X 7/044 red cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does this cable conform to current regs or should it be scrapped ? I have 3 full reels and two almost full - 4 x red and 1 black.

Attachments

• DSCF8176.JPG
    DSCF8176.JPG
    387.4 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF8177.JPG
    DSCF8177.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 160
Sponsored Links
It's very old - imperial sizes (7/.044 = 6.9mm²) - I doubt any domestic electrician would want to use it even if it is sound.

Ask an Auto electrician if they are interested.

Ebay or scrap.

It's very old - imperial sizes (7/.044 = 6.9mm²) - I doubt any domestic electrician would want to use it even if it is sound.

Ebay or scrap.
Thank you again - may try Ebay and emphasise that it is not to current regs.

It is perfectly to current regs. There is nothing forbidding its use as long as its function is identified by something other than the insulation colour, or it's used for ELV.

It's unsuitable for use in vehicles - not fine-stranded and therefore too liable to damage by vibration.

Sponsored Links
just put it on ebay, do not mention the regs, just list it for what it is.

I know - mad, isn't it.

I recently looked, out of idle curiosity over whether my stocks of old colour cable are worth enough for me to give up my desire to carry on using it for reasons of common sense and, according to BS 7671, safety.

Seen plenty of imperial cable with green slime. Sadly it's quite common around here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back