Referendums

I

imamartian

Why don't we have them anymore?

I personally think they should happen every 3-6 months and deal with the nation's 'hottest topics' (not worked out how to determine that bit yet though!). And the result should be binding. After all isn't that what democracy means?

But if i were in governement, i'd want to know what my constituents felt/wanted etc.

In the present system, the politicians say they'll do things we want doing in their manifesto, they get in power, then they don't do the things they promised, and never listen to us again.

Sponsored Links
I believe some rebel Labour MP,s are going to try to force a referendum on Europe, based on the fact it was promised in the Labour Manifesto.

We will see.

The europe thing is the only subject ever really mentioned as a possible referendum issue.

But why don't they have a referendum to decide other things... for example how to deal with crime... surely if people actually voted to build more prisons say, they would be happier with a tax increase to fund it (or whatever the mechanics would need to be)?

The europe thing is the only subject ever really mentioned as a possible referendum issue.

But why don't they have a referendum to decide other things... for example how to deal with crime... surely if people actually voted to build more prisons say, they would be happier with a tax increase to fund it (or whatever the mechanics would need to be)?

Oh I see, you want a Democracy...................... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
But if i were in governement, i'd want to know what my constituents felt/wanted etc.
You wouldn't stay in office long in this country :LOL:

In the present system, the politicians say they'll do things we want doing in their manifesto, they get in power, then they don't do the things they promised, and never listen to us again.
Errrrmmmm ... Yes ... Isn't that the concise definition of a politician? ;)

Ah you see Nige, i wasn't that foolish, i checked that before i submitted it...:cool: both are valid :LOL:

Why does the country have to be governed by people who are members of a political party?
Just imagine that the House of Commons was full of independent members of no political party who each represented the people of their constituency. They would then be able to stand up for the rights of their own people and not have to kowtow to a political party that does not give a damn about the local voters.
The local electorate would then vote for a representative every four or five years and they would also decide by an annual vote how much the rep was to be paid for the next year, judged by his/her performance over the last year.
Thought it was a good idea then I woke up.
:LOL:

Why does the country have to be governed by people who are members of a political party?
Just imagine that the House of Commons was full of independent members of no political party who each represented the people of their constituency. They would then be able to stand up for the rights of their own people and not have to kowtow to a political party that does not give a damn about the local voters.
The local electorate would then vote for a representative every four or five years and they would also decide by an annual vote how much the rep was to be paid for the next year, judged by his/her performance over the last year.
Thought it was a good idea then I woke up.
:LOL:

Hmmmm.....The trouble with that is you would have 650 odd MP,s all fighting their own corner. I doubt anything would get done.

Hmmmm.....The trouble with that is you would have 650 odd MP,s all fighting their own corner. I doubt anything would get done.[/quote]

Isn't that what happens now?

Your quote does give both possible alternatives for the plural Softus.

Sponsored Links
Back