Reilio 40, motor not purging after lockout.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been having issues with my boiler.
It started when I was running out of oil a d was running my boiler during a fill so I figured dirt got in.

I bled the system and installed a new nozzel. But my system keeps locking out.

What has me confused is that after I press the red lockout reset the blower motor does not start and if I dont do anything I can hear the starter running then it locks out again.

To get it started I press the lockout over and over again until the motor starts up. Around 3-10 times in quick sucession.

Looking at the manual the motor should run as soon as the boiler is on/reset.

Once it runs it will burn for about 30mins then lockout again.

Motor seems to turn freely and everything sounds as normal.

Any ideas? Could this be dirt in the pump, a bad motor or a bad controller?

Sponsored Links
Begs a few questions -
Do you get the boiler serviced by a proper oil service person?
Did you install the new nozzle yourself and without boiler being analyser set up?

Your motor not always starting can be due to partly seized components or/and capacitor.
Motor, motor bearings, capacitor, oil pump, oil pump plastic drive, oil filter(s), or a combination of some.
Take your pick. A decent service covers it all

Yeah I installed the nozzel myself, and just ensured I got the same type I removed. I dont think this unit has been serviced in 5-10 years. Rented property and I have already asked for it to be serviced to no avail.

Ive order a new cap and if that does not fix it then ima withhold rent.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I installed the nozzel myself, and just ensured I got the same type I removed. I dont think this unit has been serviced in 5-10 years. Rented property and I have already asked for it to be serviced to no avail.

Ive order a new cap and if that does not fix it then ima withhold rent.

Replacing the nozzle with identical type is still risky as output and flame pattern can vary and really should have burner set up each time using analyser by a pro.

Put it in writing to the property agent/landlord that the oil boiler has not been serviced and is now not working and ask for repairs including service. Do also mention if you have any concerns on safety of risk of fire or fumes or kerosine hazard.
If that doesn’t achieve a response and a service fairly quickly, just get a experienced and decent oil engineer in to sort it, with all paperwork provided and take the money off the rent, giving copies of invoice and oftec report. Would be advantageous to keep a before and after photo record of all the stages of repairs and service, showing dirty oil filters etc.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back