Remind me what bending the knee is all about?

My lad is big into his rugby league & plays (between injuries) for a local team. You think rugby is a game for thugs but they have a saying that "Rugby is a game for hooligans which is played by gentlemen. Cricket is a game for gentlemen which is played by hooligans".

Another saying is "what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch", which goes a long way towards any bad feelings not following on after the game. They also enjoy a lot of what is called "sledging" which I'm sure happens in all team sports. All through a game they are slagging each other off attempting to rile the other team, my personal favourite is "Hey up mate, long time no see, how's your missus . . . & my kids" :)

Most games I've watched have been multi-cultural, my lads team have just the one BIG black dude whose nickname is MEAT. Asking my lad if he ever gets the N word sledged at him my lad told me he does occasionally, he won't react in any way but the fullbacks know how to break ribs & someone isn't going to work to tomorrow.
Sledging in cricket is mostly banter and i've never heard of any coloured player receiving racist abuse. Anyone giving it large to someone like Viv Richards would get short shrift.

The one you refer to was the 'sledge' given to Ian Botham by Rodney Marsh. "How's your wife and my kids?" asked the Aussie, to which Beefy replied "the wife's fine but the kids are retarded." :p
At another match, one of the Aussies at slip, can't recall his name, asked Botham why he was so fat. "Every time i f**k your wife she gives me a biscuit." was his retort.

Sponsored Links
What has this incident got to do with Black Lives Matter and anti-racism?
Bodd is just attempting to shoehorn his favourite topic into the forum I.e. “Racism and how best to ignore it”. He probably shakes with rage each time he sees a player taking the knee.

i've never heard of any coloured player receiving racist abuse

"In cricket, the racial abuse I have experienced came mostly from the crowds. I wasn't abused once by an Australian or English player. The crowd would pile it on, of course, and that's why I believe racism is a societal problem. It's not to say that there aren't players who don't feel racially arrogant, but the point I am making is that you have to tackle it by cleansing the society." - Michael Holding

"Once in county cricket and several times in the leagues I was told to "go back to your own country". - Tino Best

What has English cricket been like for black players?

The article goes on to talk about how many black players would be side-lined, deselected etc and never go anywhere with a cricketing career, even though they would routinely outperform other players on the team.

"In cricket, the racial abuse I have experienced came mostly from the crowds. I wasn't abused once by an Australian or English player. The crowd would pile it on, of course, and that's why I believe racism is a societal problem. It's not to say that there aren't players who don't feel racially arrogant, but the point I am making is that you have to tackle it by cleansing the society." - Michael Holding

"Once in county cricket and several times in the leagues I was told to "go back to your own country". - Tino Best

What has English cricket been like for black players?

The article goes on to talk about how many black players would be side-lined, deselected etc and never go anywhere with a cricketing career, even though they would routinely outperform other players on the team.
And the recent revelations at Yorkshire Cricket Club, so yeah, i didn't really think that one through.

It is an issue within society as a whole and needs to be addressed at all levels, not just within sport, but it seems football has become the flag bearer for taking a stand against racism.

Sponsored Links
it seems football has become the flag bearer for taking a stand against racism.

I think that's just because it is not only a very visible action, but one in a place that has historically suffered a lot of racism.
The only people - in general - who seem bothered about BLM / taking the knee are racists, who are the people the message needs repeating to.

Change can happen. I saw this a while back and it brings hope.

BBC reporter Manish Pandey has been speaking to football fan Neil, who says he was a racist and a bigot until his daughter Millie showed him that his behaviour was unacceptable.

He said he used to go along with racist chants at football matches but is ashamed of his former behaviour and now describes himself as "anti-racist".

I think that's just because it is not only a very visible action, but one in a place that has historically suffered a lot of racism.
The only people - in general - who seem bothered about BLM / taking the knee are racists, who are the people the message needs repeating to.

Change can happen. I saw this a while back and it brings hope.

BBC reporter Manish Pandey has been speaking to football fan Neil, who says he was a racist and a bigot until his daughter Millie showed him that his behaviour was unacceptable.

He said he used to go along with racist chants at football matches but is ashamed of his former behaviour and now describes himself as "anti-racist".
"he used to go along with racist chants at football matches..."
And that's the crux of the problem: going along with others to fit in, to share views and motives that mark you out as 'one of their own'.
Football has always been a tribal game and even in the 19th century attracted the worst elements of working class society who found a way to let off steam on a saturday afternoon. The Game has changed a great deal since then, but human emotions have not.

Yeah, I went off football years ago, but as a child I still remember the chants and shouts about jews, blacks etc. in the 80s. I remember my mum joking with me "cover your ears JP, don't listen to the words!"

What about

We feel now, more than ever, it is important for us to continue to take the knee as a symbol of our unity against all forms of racism."​

So what about other abuse other white players receive like the 300
Joachim Andersen got the other night

There's only four times this season when players will take a knee before the start of a Premier League fixture: on the opening day of the season, the final day of the season; Boxing Day and one other i can't recall, maybe Easter?
This incident shows there's a long, long way to go.

Along way to rid these idiots with their pants round their ankles. Not sure how many where racist comments towards the white player

What about

So what about other abuse other white players receive like the 300
Joachim Andersen got the other night
What about it? Should we stop raising awareness about racism because a white person got attacked? Imagine if you received that abuse your whole life, because of your color

What about it? Should we stop raising awareness about racism because a white person got attacked? Imagine if you received that abuse your whole life, because of your color

White players get as much abuse as black players.

"Ill come and rape your wife
Kill your children
And kill you." How's no that any different to racism

What make you think these nutters would draw the line at racism ?

Would it be fair or reasonable to assume that the average IQ among football supporters is lower than that among the general population?
Just asking.

It's a fraction of so called fans. Most people who like football don't do this sort of thing. Same as most Muslims are not terrorists

The only time I will ever take a knee is to tie my shoelaces or pick something up that was dropped on the floor.

Sponsored Links
Back