Remind me what bending the knee is all about?

Sponsored Links

We feel now, more than ever, it is important for us to continue to take the knee as a symbol of our unity against all forms of racism."​

There's only four times this season when players will take a knee before the start of a Premier League fixture: on the opening day of the season, the final day of the season; Boxing Day and one other i can't recall, maybe Easter?
This incident shows there's a long, long way to go.

£80,000 per WEEK ! and upset at some negative tweets - LOL - there is clearly a thin skin issue with these wendy-ballers

wonder how he would get on with £250 per week and dual-fuel bill of £100 per week. There's a real world outside the premiership

Sponsored Links
£80,000 per WEEK ! and upset at some negative tweets - LOL - there is clearly a thin skin issue with these wendy-ballers

wonder how he would get on with £250 per week and dual-fuel bill of £100 per week. There's a real world outside the premiership
Receiving death threats is beyond negative, and unacceptable regardless of his weekly wage. Racial abuse in any context is also unacceptable and the reason why football continues to make this a central issue.
There's a 'real world' within the Premier League, too, and whenever i see someone use that trite phrase they generally mean to drag someone down to a lower level of understanding on any given subject.

Receiving death threats is beyond negative, and unacceptable regardless of his weekly wage. Racial abuse in any context is also unacceptable and the reason why football continues to make this a central issue.
There's a 'real world' within the Premier League, too, and whenever i see someone use that trite phrase they generally mean to drag someone down to a lower level of understanding on any given subject.
Would it be fair or reasonable to assume that the average IQ among football supporters is lower than that among the general population?
Just asking.

Would it be fair or reasonable to assume that the average IQ among football supporters is lower than that among the general population?
Just asking.
On the terraces you can find the kind of eejit who abused Eric Cantona or in the stands someone like David Goldblatt; so If you're asking me then i'd say no more or less than any other group of people gathered on a weekend, such as the people found at a Rugby Union match.

as a cyclist I have received death threats and all manner of abuse on a regular basis - but lets worry about the footballers, may be they need more money.

as a cyclist I have received death threats and all manner of abuse on a regular basis - but lets worry about the footballers, may be they need more money.
Nobody ever threatened to kill me on a bike. Maybe you should ride more carefully.

Nobody ever threatened to kill me on a bike. Maybe you should ride more carefully.
so you are happy with death treats towards cyclists who don't ride carefully, but upset at annonomis tweets (that could be from any where in the world) towards these rossly overpaid footballers. You need to get a grip on reality yourself

not that I was riding uncarefully or illegally when I have been subjected to abuse and threats.

so you are happy with death treats towards cyclists who don't ride carefully, but upset at annonomis tweets (that could be from any where in the world) towards these rossly overpaid footballers. You need to get a grip on reality yourself
If you can point out where i say, or even imply, such a thing i'd be happy to discuss it.

Easy to see the whole point of raising awareness has gone "whoosh" right over your head here!

A few years back we were discussing football players receiving abuse, albeit in the context of within the stadium, not online. I was amazed to hear one or two people essentially say almost anything (vocally) should be allowed as 'it's when folk have time to unwind and vent.'

One guy said along the lines of 'If it's said within the stadium it should be off limits to police investigation and all that garbage, folk are just passionate and want to unwind after a week at work.'

Ah yes that's right, a player standing near to supporters e.g. about to take a corner should just 'take it' when folk are roaring abuse at him whether it be about his race, family or whatever.

This is what you're up against with a (no doubt small) element of supporters.

My lad is big into his rugby league & plays (between injuries) for a local team. You think rugby is a game for thugs but they have a saying that "Rugby is a game for hooligans which is played by gentlemen. Cricket is a game for gentlemen which is played by hooligans".

Another saying is "what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch", which goes a long way towards any bad feelings not following on after the game. They also enjoy a lot of what is called "sledging" which I'm sure happens in all team sports. All through a game they are slagging each other off attempting to rile the other team, my personal favourite is "Hey up mate, long time no see, how's your missus . . . & my kids" :)

Most games I've watched have been multi-cultural, my lads team have just the one BIG black dude whose nickname is MEAT. Asking my lad if he ever gets the N word sledged at him my lad told me he does occasionally, he won't react in any way but the fullbacks know how to break ribs & someone isn't going to work to tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Back