remote control socket adaptors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey, this is my first post, hope this site is as helpful as most of the other forums i use!
im after a remote control adaptor for a 1 gang socket, it must be non-dimmable as it will be controlling some LED lighting behind my wall-mounted LCD TV.
the hard part is i would really like it to be able to be controlled via any remote, like some of the varilight light switches are, as i already have remote light switch with spare channels, and could do without another controller!!!
if anyone knows of one ill be chuffed!!!

Sponsored Links
check out maplins, they have one, not sure about the controller regarding working with existing though

AFAIK most remote controlled adaptors work on RF rather than IR like the dimmer switches do (and normal remotes too)

This is because sockets are often tucked away behind furniture and the like, making the line of sight required by IR difficult to acheive. RF is a radio signal, so will go through walls and furniture etc.

Sponsored Links
I use a universal remote that transmits both IR and RF to control lighting, appliances via X10 and the usual TV, DVD,VCR stuff.

I've designed a unit like this but haven't marketed it. I use it to cut power to my TV, video, stereo etc using a TV remote control. Thought it would be good for saving the standby power. It works but not sure if I'll take it to market yet, love to hear if there'd be any demand.

there's already someting similar.. it turns power off to the "slave" sockets when the draw from the "master" socket drops to a negligable level..

mainly used for turning off monitors, printers, scanners, zip drives etc when the PC is turned off but can probably be used to turn off tv, dvd, home cinema etc when the sky / cable box is put into standby..

Never mind all that - did you know you can buy a key fob which just cycles round through hundreds of "off" codes when you press the button, so if you're somewhere with a TV that's annoying you (doctor's waiting room, garage forecourt etc) you can just turn the f****r off?

Brilliant.

there's already someting similar.. it turns power off to the "slave" sockets when the draw from the "master" socket drops to a negligable level..

mainly used for turning off monitors, printers, scanners, zip drives etc when the PC is turned off but can probably be used to turn off tv, dvd, home cinema etc when the sky / cable box is put into standby..

The difference is that those devices need you to turn off the master device by hand or still leave the TV in standby. My design uses the TV remote to turn off everything except the very small power drain to the sensing electronics. Then when you want to turn it on again just use the TV remote again and power is restored.

i'd leave the sky box in standby anyway.. it takes a few mins to boot back up otherwise... same with a cable box..

you'd also need a flying lead reciever to put near the TV.. most sockets are behind the TV and not in plain sight..

then there's the problem of having to program the thing to the right off signal, and time delaying it so that the TV has time to go into standby before it's power is cut..

there's also the problem that pressing the on/off button on the remote will power up the tv, but leave it in standby meaning you have to press the on/off button again to turn the tv on so you'd have to have a time delay after the socket turns on where it ingores the remote for a few minutes..

i'd leave the sky box in standby anyway.. it takes a few mins to boot back up otherwise... same with a cable box..

you'd also need a flying lead reciever to put near the TV.. most sockets are behind the TV and not in plain sight..

then there's the problem of having to program the thing to the right off signal, and time delaying it so that the TV has time to go into standby before it's power is cut..

there's also the problem that pressing the on/off button on the remote will power up the tv, but leave it in standby meaning you have to press the on/off button again to turn the tv on so you'd have to have a time delay after the socket turns on where it ingores the remote for a few minutes..

Yep my design does all that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back