Removing floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be installing a new kitchen soon. I want to replace the existing floor tiles. How easy/difficult will this job be. The tiles are on moisture resistant chipboard.

I will be laying 9mm or 12mm WBP before I tile the floor.

Sponsored Links
Should be fairly easy, just rip the lot up & start again; get yourself a pry bar or pick axe, a cheap 28lb sledge hammer & have a filed day with all your pent up frustrations. :LOL:

I would forget any idea of over boarding the crap board you currently have; assuming that's what you mean & that it survives! Start afresh with a 25mm WBP as a base for a kitchen &, do yourself a favour, read the tiling sticky & archive posts to see how to prepare the floor for new tiles. This one is current & is absolutely made for you;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=219913

You might just as well; don't be afraid of it, it won't take long, won't cost that much (relatively) & will repay you with a tiled floor that won't break up withing a year or two. ;)

Sponsored Links
do yourself a favour and listen to Richard :)

personally I have no problem tiling over chipboard floors as long as it's overboarded properly......

however, if your existing tiles are stuck directly to chipboard, by the time you have chopped up the tiles, the chipboard will be knackered anyway and won't be sound enough to hold any screws to overboard to!

bite the bullet and replace the whole floor

Ok lads, took your advice and ripped up the floor and replaced it with 25mm WBP, 6 sheets at £34/sheet. Enjoyed swinging that sledge hammer smashing up the old carcases and especially the floor. Thats the floor down now. Next job is down with the plasterboard to fit new noggins for a secure fixing for the wall units.

Thanks again

lol you have to love the 25mm WBP ply - its thick as a cheese block from your local iceland.

Its a pain to cut but once its screwed down boy is the floor solid mate.

Well worth the money i recon.

oh and don't pva it - just tile right on it. but give it a vacuum before hand.

lol you have to love the 25mm WBP ply - its thick as a cheese block from your local iceland.

Its a pain to cut but once its screwed down boy is the floor solid mate.

Well worth the money i recon.

oh and don't pva it - just tile right on it. but give it a vacuum before hand.

what about sealing the back and edges,priming. None of that to do ?

I thought the plywood would have to be sealed with PVA. Is that not the case ?
Conventional PVA is not waterproof & will re-emulsify when it gets wet, it should not be used to prime a tiling base. Do not use anything else to prime a tiling base either unless your chosen adhesive manufacturer recommends it.

"what about sealing the back and edges,priming. None of that to do ?"
Can you explain?
The underside & edges of the ply boarding should be sealed with SBR; this IS a waterproof sealer & is used to prevent moisture/water getting into the exposed back/edges of the ply. If this happens, it can cause the ply to expand causing movement & your tiles will fail.

Thanks Richard. Let me get this straight,SBR should be applied to edges of plywood only and then tiles are laid on top of adhesive. Is that correct ?

SBR the UNDERSIDE & EDGES of the ply before you fix it down, do not apply SBR to the tile surface. Most cement powder adhesives do not require the application of primer before tiling but follow your chosen adhesive manufacturer’s instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back