Removing lockshield extension tail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a standard radiator (1/2" female bsp) on which I'm installing a new lockshield/TRV kit. The lockshield is similar to this:
w-247960-2.jpg

What happens if I remove the nut and everything on its left in the pic, and screw the valve directly into the radiator (with PTFE)?
This would simplify my space arrangements a lot, but before actually trying I thought to ask if this makes sense at all.
TA!

Sponsored Links
Check the threads actually are the same, if they are then lots of ptfe (at least 5 turns) and maybe a smear of Boss white or similar and try it.

and if you ever need to remove the radiator ? what are you going to do ?they have tails for a reason , the shank can be adjusted but you need to use a tail

and if you ever need to remove the radiator ? what are you going to do ?they have tails for a reason , the shank can be adjusted but you need to use a tail
Ah, that's not a problem, there would be some slack at some other point on the circuit. However, I'm more worried about the possibility of not having enough room to properly tighten the ptfe joint, so I guess I'll try to keep the tail. Thanks for all the answers!

Sponsored Links
If space is really tight you could try the older type of valve fitting (tapered thread tail with a flange that the valve mates to)- you might save 5mm or so. Or get a narrower radiator

If space is really tight you could try the older type of valve fitting (tapered thread tail with a flange that the valve mates to)- you might save 5mm or so. Or get a narrower radiator

Thank you. Not sure which type you mean. Would you have a link or pic, please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back