Removing old mirror light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I wish to remove an old basin from the corner of the bedroom. I understand in the old days it was quite common to have a basin in your bedroom. As if the basin, with its lead waste pipe and water pipes wasn't enough, I also need to remove the old light above the mirror and the light switch next to it. I'm going to do this by sticking the wires into some terminal block and wrapping it in insulating tape, then sticking it back in the wall and filling etc. I understand that terminal or 'connecting block' comes in different amps. I have bought a 15 amp block. Does it matter what amps the block is, and if so what do you think I would need for such a light? Many thanks

PS I may see if there is a junction box in the loft and disconnect from there. :)

Sponsored Links
You need to trace the supply cable back and disconnect. You cannot just tape up and fill over live connectors. The cable may go back to a light fitting or junction box. Please remember to isolate first.

You must not do this unless you first find the other end of the cable and disconnect it. You must not leave live wires in the wall which are not identified by an accessory of some sort.

EDIT: Oh well.

OK thanks. I suspected someone might say that, even though it seems to be common practice!

Sponsored Links
OK thanks. I suspected someone might say that, even though it seems to be common practice!

If you can't disconect, fit one of these.

MKK3827.JPG

Of course, if the cable runs within 150mm of the corner of the wall you don't need to remove it, although it is still much better to do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back