Removing Silicone sealant!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon :)

How do you remove silicone sealant from around the bath etc.

I tend to use a flat blade and stanley knife.

You?

Sponsored Links
remove as much as you can mechanicaly, then use silicone eater.

Sponsored Links
I'm getting fed up of saying this - Forget silicone eater - it's garbage :rolleyes:
Just use a sharp chisel and slide it under both sides of the silicone. Job done faster, better and cheaper.

gcol said:
I'm getting fed up of saying this - Forget silicone eater - it's garbage :rolleyes:
Just use a sharp chisel and slide it under both sides of the silicone. Job done faster, better and cheaper.

I can see why you say that, it's not very good, but it's ok for removing the shreds that you can't mechanically remove.

What you can't shift with a chisel can generally be rubbed off with your thumb. Hurts after a bit though. :D

Boons said:

Boons, your previous post was "How to apply silicone sealant" does this post mean that all did not go to plan, or are you just preparing?

kdLeeds said:
Boons said:

Boons, your previous post was "How to apply silicone sealant" does this post mean that all did not go to plan, or are you just preparing?

It went well

I am always looking to hear other peoples methods, If a better idea comes along, Ill give it a shot.

i have been told that if you spray wd40 on the sealant and leave it for 10 minutes it comes off easily.i have not tried it yet .

Considering the post is 5 years old - I bet he sorted it. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back