Removing switch/socket box extenders

Exactly - that is the (only) point I was making - i.e. that BAS was 'jumping to conclusions' ('assuming the worst') without actually knowing what the quotation/estimate did or did not say.
No - I took the view that given the OP's view on surface mounted boxes the specification he agreed to would not have had them in, therefore it did not have them in, and therefore they should not have been used.

Sponsored Links
Why plastic boxes from China?
whssign.gif

Sponsored Links
47mm are more common, I thought 40mm would be better.

The switches are most likely Chinese, but I'd think it wouldn't matter?

Exactly - that is the (only) point I was making - i.e. that BAS was 'jumping to conclusions' ('assuming the worst') without actually knowing what the quotation/estimate did or did not say.
No - I took the view that given the OP's view on surface mounted boxes the specification he agreed to would not have had them in, therefore it did not have them in, and therefore they should not have been used.
We now know, that there was never any specification or agreement, either written or verbal, as to whether the accessories would be flush- or surface-mounted - so we're into the nebulous area of what can reasonably be assumed in the absence of any discussion or agreement about that aspect of the specification.

Kind Regards, John

I would consider it reasonable to expect that with buried cable the fittings would be flush ones.

What about a complete rewire with surface boxes because it was not specifically mentioned that flush ones were required?

I would consider it reasonable to expect that with buried cable the fittings would be flush ones.
Maybe - but the absence of any discussion, let alone documentation, would seem to make that view at least open to question.
What about a complete rewire with surface boxes because it was not specifically mentioned that flush ones were required?
I suppose much the same, in the absence of any discussion/agreement. What if the existing installation was all done with surface boxes? - in the absence of any discussion or 'requests', might one not think that the customer was happy to have the re-wire done in the same way?

Kind Regards, John

Spose. I think anyone actually wanting surface boxes these days would be unusual.
Unless to save cost, you are undoubtedly right, at least as a generalisation. It obviously depends on the actual situation, and one's views about aesthetics. Like, I imagine, many others, I personally wouldn't usually bother with the hassle of having accessories sunk into walls in 'utility' areas, and certainly not in workshops/workrooms, garages, outhouses etc. (even when it would be possible).

Whatever, it's a matter of personal choice, but one's choice needs to be known. I have suffered so much heartache in years-gone-by in relation to less-than-fully-specified work undertaken by contractors that I now do everything I can to make sure that everything 'that matters' (to me) is as fully specified as possible - even if only verbally (in the case of contractors I know and trust).

Kind Regards, John

I personally feel that surface-mounted accessories on a plastered wall look out of place.

Conversely, I think flush-mounting onto unfinished block or brick walls looks very odd as well.

I personally feel that surface-mounted accessories on a plastered wall look out of place. Conversely, I think flush-mounting onto unfinished block or brick walls looks very odd as well.
Yes, I think most people would probably agree with that - although, in terms of the former, as I've said, there are rooms in which I don't really care much about whether they 'look out of place' or not, even if the walls are plastered or otherwise 'finished'.

Kind Regards, John

I'd like to replace all switches throughout the house with a different type (with a touch sensor)

If you post a link to the particular product you're considering, I'm sure the experts here will advise you of any potential problems that you may not be aware of.

In particular, some of these switches limit what sort of lights you can use or only work if your switches are wired in a particular way.

We now know, that there was never any specification or agreement, either written or verbal, as to whether the accessories would be flush- or surface-mounted - so we're into the nebulous area of what can reasonably be assumed in the absence of any discussion or agreement about that aspect of the specification.
No we are not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back