Replace PIR on Scantronic 9800 alarm system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have inherited a Modern 3200 alarm in my house purchase. I understand this is actually a Scantronic 9800 rebranded. It works well.

Anyway, I simply want to replace the yellow discoloured, plaster covered PIRs with new clean white ones.

Now I only have the user code. The previous homeowners had a contract with ADT so presumably they have the engineer code. We only want the bells.

So can I do it? I’ve read that you need to disconnect the mains, then the power supply auxiliary fuse (don’t know what that is or where it would be in the control panel or as some suggest I might not have one). Switch the wires, keeping things insulated and then replace fuse, reconnect mains, re enter user code x2 and you’re done?

Has anyone any advice on this. I want to do it 4 times over an extended period as each room is decorated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well, the quick and dirty method, is to undo the pir, and enter the reset code when it goes off. Then insulate the wires so you can pull them out safely, and reverse the procedure, and reset the alarm.

Here's the manual, and it'll tell you the original engineers code, and how to reset the NVM should you feel brave enough to have a go.

But someone better than me will be along soon.

Problem is that if you cause a Tamper, which you will when your remove PIR lid, the system (being ADT) may be set up for enginner Reset following tampers - therefore locking the system out until you get a reset code. As it’s out of contact that’ll be impossible. You may find it’s set up for user reset but it’s the risk your’ll have to take.

9800 does not have fuses, so to be absolutely safe, your be better of tottaly downpowering system, but then the outside siren may ring for up to 20mins!

So the other alternative is to swap them live, you won’t get a shock as it’s only 12v. Take pics of detector wiring first, snip off each wire and remove detector (whist doing this alarm will sound for tamper, enter code and leave) then fit new sensor and copy the wiring as per the picture you took (make sure the power wires do not touch) (Some new detectors have EOL wiring, ignore this as it won’t work on your system, just wire as normal) once done fit lid, then go back to keypad enter code again then press X (maybe code twice then X)

Problem is that if you cause a Tamper, which you will when your remove PIR lid, the system (being ADT) may be set up for enginner Reset following tampers - therefore locking the system out until you get a reset code. As it’s out of contact that’ll be impossible. You may find it’s set up for user reset but it’s the risk your’ll have to take.

9800 does not have fuses, so to be absolutely safe, your be better of tottaly downpowering system, but then the outside siren may ring for up to 20mins!

So the other alternative is to swap them live, you won’t get a shock as it’s only 12v. Take pics of detector wiring first, snip off each wire and remove detector (whist doing this alarm will sound for tamper, enter code and leave) then fit new sensor and copy the wiring as per the picture you took (make sure the power wires do not touch) (Some new detectors have EOL wiring, ignore this as it won’t work on your system, just wire as normal) once done fit lid, then go back to keypad enter code again then press X (maybe code twice then X)

Thanks Alarm Engineer. I have set the tamper off before when moving one PIR for decorating purposes. It was reset with my user code and hence no ADT engineer code seemingly required. I think as you suggest swapping them live seems to easiest thing to do, just setting off the internal tamper. I am assuming there is no need to downpower in this method. If by mistake I manage to short the wires (contacts are very close!) what are the potential consequences?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Just be careful not to short the wires, the power output is transistorised instead of a fuse so it should self reset, but being an old panel it could blow beyond repair.

Tamper pair is fine, although if shorted and unshorted it will trigger tamper again.

Alarm pair is ok to short whist connecting up.

Power pair is the one to be careful of, in fact it’s just the positive that needs to stay clear of anything else.

Remember to do a full walk test after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back