Replace RG59 with CAT5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During house refurbishment I asked alarm guy to prepare cabling for CCTV. He prepared what I can now identify as RG59 Coaxial Cable + 2 Core Power CCTV cable. He connected one to the entry sytem and left 3 blanks which would cover alleyway/front and back of house

I have been looking around for a system to install and it seems that by not installing CAT5/6 he limited my options as far as remote viewing etc. Is this correct?

These cables are neat as they were run inside the walls and all meet in my understairs cupboard, but I could just run new external CAT5/6 cables on the outside wall of house in conduit and get them to enter a small utility room which is on an outside wall so in the house there wouldn't be a big mess, Is this a worthwhile upgrade and is is it practical to run these cable around a house with conduit?

I should add that 2 of the prepared cables (alleyway and back) will need to be extended in any case due to a new back extension. I am assuming this is just a conduit and a male/female connector.

What would the advice be?

Sponsored Links
AHD cameras will give a decent HD picture over the analogue cable. If you wanted to go higher resolution still, such as an IP system, you can get IP over coax converters. You may find a standard resolution camera would fit your needs though.

As for remote viewing, any recorder with remote viewing facilities will work, it doesn’t matter what cameras are feeding into it.

Any recommendation for a system to go for?

I need 4 cameras. I currently have a dome shaped swan at entry door, then I need one that can cover 15m narrow alleyway, 1 for 7.m x 15 m garden and other for front of house so a wide angle.

Sponsored Links
IMG_1682.PNG

Much appreciated. I cannot find this model. Can you post a link?

Thanks.

I just fitted this exact camera and it is really top class......

Make sure you get the HUHI machine as the lower level HIK units cannot handle the data cap...

5MP over coax...superb!

We fitted this on a farm where a previous "botch it" company had used cat5 with baluns sending 12Vdc nearly 100M down cat5 - the farmer wondered why cameras were lasting less than 12months!!

MM

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back