replace wood floor with concrete?

You dont need to do anything to the walls, unless you strip them as well.

Thanks Notch7.. As ive stripped a couple of the walls or should I say the plaster has fallen off... if I involve regs, are you certain they won't make me kingspan all the walls...?

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised that you've not already made a building regs application, looking at the photos!
As a mid-terraced house, the areas of your external walls are not enormous. Have you worked out the cost of (seconds&co) kingspan for those walls?
I don't know exactly what the rules are. You might like to ask in the "building regs and planning" forum - though I think most people read everything...

I'm surprised that you've not already made a building regs application, looking at the photos!
As a mid-terraced house, the areas of your external walls are not enormous. Have you worked out the cost of (seconds&co) kingspan for those walls?
I don't know exactly what the rules are. You might like to ask in the "building regs and planning" forum - though I think most people read everything...
I would rather not have to insulate the walls... however its £37 for a 100mmx1.2x2.4 I would hope not to have to use 100mm though.. dose anyone know the size of insulation for the inside of external walls
https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/product-page/90-100mm-1-2-x-2-4m-foil-faced

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't normally say this, but personally, as it's only a renovation job, I'd ignore building control. If you have to start putting insulation in the internal walls, then you've got to take into consideration where wall cabinets etc will go,as the crews have to go much further in before they bite. But you'd use cellotex on the walls, not polystyrene.

dose anyone know the size of insulation for the inside of external walls

https://www.kingspan.com/gb/en-gb/products/insulation/kingspan-insight/building-regulations

It depends where you live.
If you're in England you need to achieve a u-value for the wall of 0.3 W/m2K.

https://az750602.vo.msecnd.net/netxstoreviews/assetOriginal/22219_Regulations_L1B_England_UK.pdf

If the existing solid wall has a U-value of 2.7 W/m2K, your insulation needs to be 0.33 W/m2K.
PIR (i.e. regular kingspan/celotex) is 0.022 W/mK. So thr required thickness is 0.066m = 66mm.
If you use PUR (Kooltherm) it drops to about 55mm.

TBH, aren't you still worried about the stuctural issues in your other thread?
I'd want to be pretty sure about all that before digging up the floor and worrying about insulation....

TBH, aren't you still worried about the stuctural issues in your other thread?
I'd want to be pretty sure about all that before digging up the floor and worrying about insulation....
I see it as a jigsaw puzzle and im trying to find the right pieces for the right places... I dono..! yes i am worried... its just part of it...

It's a one step at a time process, that's all, but it's managebale, so don't worry too much, and don't overcomplicate things either. Get the foundations checked out, fit the lintel, tie the walls together and redo the 1st floor joists, fit the wooden floor downstairs, then get everything plastered, do the electrics, fit the kitchen and do the plumbing, then decorate.

See, straight forward and simple. You can get bulding control involved, but they'll just make you increase the insulation, so that'll cost more, but it's still manageable, and maybe it would be better to have everything under their control if you're really worried. Otherwise you need a friendly and helpful builder that you can turn to for advice, and give him a few bottle here and there as a thank you.

Thanks for all your advice everyone on this thread... I wish I was experienced enough to make more informed decisions myself..
Just to let you know.. today I paid £324 for a internal & external application.. its based on an estimated 5001 to 25000 work expenditure.
I hope I dont totally regret doing this.. and I hope it has some value for money.. at least Ill be able to sleep better.. :)

Someone I once did some work for used to say that it was good to make a decision, even if it turned out to be the wrong one. That way, you were going forward, rather than procrastinating.

Keep us updated, and we'll help where we can.

Do your pipe and cable work.
Fill in vent holes.
Chuck in 6 tonne of MOT and compact.
Chuck in a tonne of soft sand, blind stone and compact.
Lay 1200g membrane.
Lay insulation layer including perimeter insulation where necessary.
Lay another layer of poly on top or tape the joints.
Get BC to do their inspection.
Lay 100mm concrete slab and rough tamp.
Lay 75mm screed.

Fill in vent holes.
Lay 1200g membrane.
Lay 75mm screed.
All that stressing over getting BSO down... Well, today he came for initial inspection.. couldnt have been more different to what I was fearing... He said or advised that it is perfectly acceptable to do everything like you've said noseall... apart from not to bother with the screed and simply leave the 100mm concrete as the finished floor :) regarding other works he advised exactly the way I was going to do it anyway... so I guess the value is in that works will be signed of by building regs...

Fill in vent holes.
Lay 1200g membrane.
Lay 75mm screed.

Prebook your visit to the Osteopath.

What did he say about the wall etc though, Plus insulation requirements.

I showed him the out of plumb wall and he didnt really show any concern.. I made a point that the builders Ive had down now have all said it is nothing to worry about... He said that a lintel needs to be placed in to strengthen everything.. and the brickwork repaired and sorted out.. but thats about it...
Regarding wall insulation he didn't really mention much apart from that in some houses they are very much warmer with it in..
So far so good, but he obviously knows that he will be back before the laying of concrete.. and perhaps that's when he will look regarding other issues...
Might need more than an Osteopath... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back