replace wood floor with concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Ive ripped up all the wooden floor in an old terraced house which was badly affected with dry rot and would like to replace it with a concrete floor.
Firstly, can anyone tell me do I need planning permission before going ahead with the work?
Then, if I go down the root of building regulations, what other things will they insist i do? ie will they make me insulate all exterior walls? etc... (I know insulation makes things warmer, but these types of houses where constructed to be able to breath, and Im not convinced that wall insulation doesnt come without any problems)
Thanks
lepend

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ah, so now we see the reason for concrete floor. No you don't need permission, but it's dead easy to cut out the rot, and then spray everything, even the walls, so no point going for the concrete floor.

I completely understand what you are saying here Doggit... However, I am doing all this work on my own.. Im not a builder and i am finding some of these things a bit daunting... apart from that its going to take me quite some time to fill in the footings (ill have another 2 or 3 to dig out if I want to be sure theyre going to support the sleeper walls) brick everything up then start laying the wooden floor...
Unfortunately im on a tight budget regardless of what i do, and to help me decide ive drawn up a price comparison.. i would think where ive had to guess a little on the prices there not too far off although Ive properly priced most of it. Im still a little concerned with regs though.. but I simply dont have the funds at the moment to start insulating walls with kingspan and whatever else they insist on... Comments very welcome...
ps ive forgot to include insulation for the wooden floor
Note: (I would do everything correctly to regulation standards) just not sure about the polystyrene sheets - if they need to be a specific type?

Attachments

• Price comp.png
    Price comp.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
This is an interesting property that you have acquired legepe.... did you inherit it, or something?

What are your long-term plans for it? To live in, sell, or rent out? I ask because I think you need to not rush into making decisions that might turn out to be wrong.

Regarding the floor, what depth is there below the existing floorboards?
(Edit: I've just seen your spreadsheet; I'll have a look...)

Have you discovered "Seconds & Co" for cheap insulation boards?

Sponsored Links
Now why do you need a sleeper wall; just increase to 7 or 8" joists. If you're doing this yourself, then I'd definitely recommend you go the wooden floor route, as you'll be able to level it yourself; levelling concrete needs a lot more skill. The external wall insulation or rendering can be done later if you choose to go that route.

I bought it at auction.. bit last minute dash... it is to be rented.. depth from floor boards is = 630mm Ill check out seconds and co, thanks
Ive attached pic of floor.. sleeper walls have gone now and ive already dug out footings at either end

Attachments

• IMG_20171121_113219.jpg
    IMG_20171121_113219.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 502
If you remove a floor, you need to reinstate with sufficient insulation. It now falls under building regs as its a consequential improvement.

You dont need to do anything to the walls, unless you strip them as well.

You can just replace a suspended floor with a solid concrete floor. The ground needs to be load bearing. If it isnt then the floor and walls will move separately.

If the ground is good, and is sub soil below your floor you may be ok.

Otherwise, fit a suspended floor.

Your polystyrene price works out at £16 / m2; I hope that's for "grey" polystyrene with graphite in it.
It my be better to use a thicker layer of the cheaper white polystyrene.

If you choose a wooden floor, insulate that too! Use mineral wool between the joists. Cost about £300 I guess.

Why are the areas different in the spreadsheet?

Now I can see the need for the sleeper walls. The joists normally go across the shortest distance, not the longest. Don't try and get your sleeper wall level to the floor though; as a DIYer, it'll be easier to leave it half inch lower than the underside of the joists, and then pack the joists to get the level you need.

Ive attached here another couple of pics of floor - its all clay so i guess it should be ok to support a concrete floor.
Ive also attached a pic of one of the walls there are a couple on 1st floor that the plaster has fallen off...
If I get building regs in will they not insist i insulate everything then?

Attachments

• IMG_20171221_144123150.jpg
    IMG_20171221_144123150.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_20171221_144136061.jpg
    IMG_20171221_144136061.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_20171107_135928469.jpg
    IMG_20171107_135928469.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 466
Its 43sqm with the kitchen or 34 without.. as the kitchen already has a concrete floor.. (but no dpc)

Now why do you need a sleeper wall; just increase to 7 or 8" joists. If you're doing this yourself, then I'd definitely recommend you go the wooden floor route, as you'll be able to level it yourself; levelling concrete needs a lot more skill. The external wall insulation or rendering can be done later if you choose to go that route.
Thanks Doggit, but I will get someone to do the leveling if thats what i finally decide to do... the rest of the work i intend to do as much of myself.. I just see the sleeper walls and fitting/leveling the wooden floor much more time consuming... I really need to get a good floor down asap so I can concentrate on the rest that needs doing

Last edited:
What's the graphite for?

It improves the thermal conductivity from about 0.038 W/mK to about 0.030 W/mK (approx). I don't know the physics. It also makes it look grey, which is helpful as you can distinguish between the two types.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back