Replacement of Ceiling Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am replacing two lights in my living room, they are currently on a three wire ceiling rose system, unfortunately the new lights do not accommodate the ceiling rose system.

I am planning on using a junction box like this

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html?

My only issue is I have been reading and I believe no wire should be exposed outside of this box so my question is how do I run the earth wire to the new light fitting?

Any help will be much appreciated,

Gil

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply.

My concern is that I have read that none of the wires, blue, brown or earth should be outside of the casing the only visible wiring should be the white ones that hold the three inside. So my concern is how will I be able to fit them in the junction boxes, 3 from existing and one from the new light, and how will I run the earth from the box to the new fitting?

HAG_j501.jpg

Sponsored Links
I need to run one of the earth ones and attach it to the light fitting itself don't I? It is metallic and has a designated terminal for the earth wire, but in doing so the wiring running to the light would no longer be intact as in the photo you posted.

I take it you don't have access from the wiring above? If there the wiring was in a loft the wiring could be accessed.

Those junction boxes aren't very convenient if it means you have to cut a hole in the ceiling to accomodate it.

By the the time you've done that, there will be bugger all to fix the light fitting to.

The only way to sort this out is by you sending us a picture of the new light fitting.

Thank you for all your replies, the light fitting was metal and it had an earth cable separately so I just connected that to the earth wire terminal in the junction box as pictured. The earth cable was not in the same casing as the other cable so it goes in the junction box but separately the white casing containing the live and neutral and the earth going in separately through the same opening. Thank you again for your help.

What size was the separate earth conductor?

Chances are you should have replaced the 2-core cable with a 3-core one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back