Replacing a double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace this double socket, but the replacement is slightly different to the old one and not sure if I need to add a new earth cable going to the box please?

Here is a picture of the existing socket that needs replacing:

2020-04-02 09.10.06.jpg

and here is the new socket:

2020-04-02 09.42.03.jpg

2020-04-02 09.43.25.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just replicate what you already have. I.E. three earth conductors into one of the new sockets earth terminals.

The instructions say you do. The regs say if one of the back box lugs is fixed you don’t need to.

Your choice.

Yet another example of manufacturers instructions being wrong or perhaps incomplete.

Sponsored Links
Yes ,Both earth terminals are linked together by a solid metal strip.

Many thanks @terryplumb and @winston1 So just to check, the earth is shared between the two sockets in the new one?

Yes, just use either earth terminal, whichever is the easier to use for all three earth conductors. You could use both terminals, but I would avoid that - it would introduce another point of potential for failure.

Thank you and sorry, I'm a bit confused when you say all three earth conductors as I only have two (first picture)? There's the earth coming out the main cable and then the other one that goes to the box. Should there be a third earth cable?

Yes, just use either earth terminal, whichever is the easier to use for all three earth conductors. You could use both terminals, but I would avoid that - it would introduce another point of potential for failure.

Or to look at it another way - if you only use one terminal and it fails then you have no earth. If you use both (on a ring final) and one fails, then the other one is still connected. Using two terminals doubles the chance of a single failure, but that does not cause a potential danger, whereas the single failure using only one terminal does (you could even connect both terminals to the back box as well if you wanted to be ultra-cautious :) )

Thank you and sorry, I'm a bit confused when you say all three earth conductors as I only have two (first picture)? There's the earth coming out the main cable and then the other one that goes to the box. Should there be a third earth cable?
The earth in the cable is actually two twisted together, looks like one in the same sleeve

You have 3 . One in each twin and earth cable ( put together in one green/ yellow) sheath. And a flying earth link to the galvanised box.

That makes the three. Two in the cables in the wall, the third is the one to the metal back box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back