Replacing a gas boiler in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am having a combi-gas boiler replaced in my bathroom.

I have been told by the installer that after he has fitted the boiler I will need to fit a cabinet around that boiler before he will turn it on.

He has told me that this is to comply with BS7671.

Firstly is this correct and if yes can someone point me to the relevent section of BS7671 that stipulates this requirement

Thanks

Billzee :)

Sponsored Links
It is no good in just saying a bathroom. You need to give some indication of its size and boiler position relative to fixed bath and shower etc.

BS7671 (the wiring regs) lay down certain criteria for fixed appliances when installed in a bathroom and it is these that are obviously giving your installer cause for concern.

More details and relative advise can be given.

Alan

Hi Alan

It is in fact a shower room( old habit calling it a bathroom) with toilet and handbasin.

The room is very small, the boiler being situated within 40cm of the side of the shower cubicle and 20cm of the handbasin.

Hope this clarifies things

billzee

Bathroom or shower room both are classified the same.

Personally I would consider, the installation of boiler in Zone 2 as you describe, as you describe as a non permitted installation.

Regulations (601-09-03) permits a water heater in Zone 2 provided 'it is suitable for that zone'.

I don't think you can classify a boiler as a water heater as described in the regulations as it is really refering to the over sink type. It also distinctly says 'provided suitable for that zone'. You would need to consult the boiler manufacturers on this point.

Remember if the installation fails to meet ALL current standards distinct problems will be met when it is time to sell the property.

Was the boiler installed by a CORGI registered person and was the electrical installation carried out by a proper electrician??

Alan

Sponsored Links
Basically the reg states that if you are in a bath or shower you should not be able to touch the boiler (think set distance of 1.5 metres).,in case of electrocution. This is why the installer is saying it must be in a cupboard(so it cannot be touched). Electrical reg not a corgi one but classed as good practise by them.

I've put several boilers in bathrooms and always checked with the mfr first. None have said there's a safety problem if the thing's in a cpd, though a steamy atmosphere isn't good for electronics.

Must say the same as chris

would one of you lads/;adettes clarify something for me I thought the regs stated that it was acceptable as long as the appliances controls could not be touched while standing in the bath not the whole thing?

either way what happens if you have one install for a bloke of 4ft 11 and another ffor a bloke of 6 foot 11 and the bathrooms are exactly the same size?

Electrical regs refer to zones and the type of appliance that can be fitted in each zone.

Ability to touch things when standing in the bath went out a long time ago.

Certainly the regs do not define the length of an arm but there is a British Standard finger.

Alan

Thought I would just share my experience with constructing a boiler cabinet. I have a Worcester Bosch 24cdi which is installed in my bathroom right next to the bath. It developed a fault and the W.B engineer came out and replaced the fan and it ran fine for a while.

Then it developed an intermitent fault where the water would run for 2 mins and then the burner would cut out for a few seconds before coming on again. Rang W.B as it was still under warantee for the original repair. The guy came out, took one look at it and refused to touch it unless there was a cabinet round it. I had 3 weeks to build the thing, so after much perusing of this forum and the official WB site, checking specifications etc I began work.

The story ends happily, a 3rd engineer came out and fixed the fault and complemented me on the cupboard!

So it seems there are different standards of requirements depending on who you speak to. Here is different advice I have been given

1. All you need is a box, relative distance to bath/shower not really important (most advice on this forum)

2. The box must have a key so that you physically have to get out the bath to fetch key to open it if there is a problem (engineer, apparantly a Corgi rule)

3. Boiler must be 600mm minumum away from the bath even if it is in a cupboard (Worcester Bosch tech help line) "You're going to have to move it!" (AAAaaagggh!)

Mad ay?

However if anyone is planning on boxing in a boiler, I would recomend you check out the manufacturers website and look at the specifications, for distances around the boiler, air vent requirements etc.

So it seems there are different standards of requirements depending on who you speak to.

You can say that again. and again.and again.and again.and again.

just something I dug up from the last post on this topic:

If the manufacturer's instructions state that a room sealed boiler is suitable for a bathroom location but is not rated at IPX4 or above or the manufacturer requires an appliance to be installed in a cupboard, it may be installed in an existing airing cupboard or purpose made cupboard, located within the bathroom. Existing or purpose made cupboards must comply with the following requirements:

1) the cupboard must not be located in zone 1 and may only be located in zone 2 where it is configured as set out in paragraph 4.On all occasions purpose made cupboards should be constructed to fulfill the solepurpose of housing the boiler.

2)The cupboard must be located remote from the bath/ shower basin edge. Where ventilation is required this must be provided in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements. The cupboard must be constructed prior to the installation of the appliance.

3)The cupboard must be a permanent structure and be constructed of approprite materials and workmanship, such that it will retain its construction integrity throughout the life of the appliance. The required boiler manufacturer clearances must also be observed

4) The cupboard may be adjacent to the bath / shower basin provided that the access door must be a single length door, with a positive means of access and closure and hinged in such a way as to open towards the bath / shower basin making it therefore impossible to reach into the cupboard. Wiht this configuration the internal space of the cupboard is deemed to be zone 3.

Ollski, Thanks for digging that up, very useful. But can you say where the details above came from originally? For example is it a British Standard, electrical reg., etc.?

Another point is that a 30ma rcd should also be used on the appliance special locations section of bs 7671 and also still a fused spur as corgi will not allow just the rcd on its own, even though it has fuse carrier plus manual trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back