Replacing a Powermax boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why keep assuming the boiler needs replacement, I still think the boiler is probably salvagable (in my experience !!)

Could you post a picture of the leak/problem ?

Few engineers like the IMI Range Powermaxes and 9/10 times just recommend replacement, when its not necessarily the best option - unless them making money is the only aim

Sponsored Links
but surely these powermax's have got to be inefficient if so old like mine was.

we replaced ours because in the next yr we are breaking up into the attic and so it was going to need replacing anyway.

our gas bill for the winter 1/4 was £500. we also couldnt control the rads temps with the new TRV's i had fitted because the powermax whacked out such a great heat. after getting to number 4 on the TRV it just switched off. the house was very top heavy warm. the thing also was noisy.

i was more than happy to replace it.

Why keep assuming the boiler needs replacement, I still think the boiler is probably salvagable (in my experience !!)

Could you post a picture of the leak/problem ?

Few engineers like the IMI Range Powermaxes and 9/10 times just recommend replacement, when its not necessarily the best option - unless them making money is the only aim

I'm not assuming it needs replacing, but I am assuming that it will be tough to find someone firstly who knows the appliance well, and secondly willing to attempt the repair, assuming it isn't straight forward........so might as well give some advice about replacement as thats probably whats gonna end up happening!

Ok, well a very similar same thing happened to me with my Powermax 185 boiler, but with persistence I managed to sort the leak out, and not go along with what all the rip off merchants kept suggesting - ie replacement rather than spend £2 on a new fibre washer and 10 mins labour !!!

Not all engineers obviously, but many rely on peoples ignorance as non-experts,and attempt to rip everyone off

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all replies, I'll have to think about my options and work something out. Whatever I go for it'll have to be cheap and cheerful I'm afraid, I just don't have the money for anything else.

but surely these powermax's have got to be inefficient if so old like mine was.

we replaced ours because in the next yr we are breaking up into the attic and so it was going to need replacing anyway.

our gas bill for the winter 1/4 was £500. we also couldnt control the rads temps with the new TRV's i had fitted because the powermax whacked out such a great heat. after getting to number 4 on the TRV it just switched off.

If your TRVs are shutting down when they are at No. 4 then buy some good TRVs. They are designed to operate at 82C flow temperatures.

Ok, well a very similar same thing happened to me with my Powermax 185 boiler, but with persistence I managed to sort the leak out, and not go along with what all the rip off merchants kept suggesting - ie replacement rather than spend £2 on a new fibre washer and 10 mins labour !!!

Not all engineers obviously, but many rely on peoples ignorance as non-experts,and attempt to rip everyone off

I would always offer a repair as thats mostly what I do.

Unfortunately, most CORGIs make their money from installation work and faced with a boiler 19 years old many cannot resist the temptation of saying it needs to be replaced seeing a £3000 job on the horizon!

If I had come to your boiler then I would have mended it for you but I would still have pointed out that it was quite old and you should be saving up for a replacement. People respect me for that honesty and often ask me later if I would replace the boiler for them.

Tony Glazier

Unfortunately, most CORGIs make their money from installation work
I doubt that you are correct. For example, are you able to say what proportion are in the categories you mention?

...and faced with a boiler 19 years old many cannot resist the temptation of saying it needs to be replaced seeing a £3000 job on the horizon!
Your implication of greed is misplaced and wrong, IMHO.

If I had come to your boiler then I would have mended it for you but I would still have pointed out that it was quite old and you should be saving up for a replacement. People respect me for that honesty and often ask me later if I would replace the boiler for them.
...which, presumably, you don't do, because that would be a £3000 job on the horizon.

...which, presumably, you don't do, because that would be a £3000 job on the horizon.

Yes, I would, but for only £2000 !

Tony

Don't replace it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will rip you off in an instant, and install a brand new boiler (if they turn up that is) and make a killing when its highly likely the boiler can be repaired for a small fee !!!!!!!!

Well put, Softus.

Whether or not the OP replaces or repairs his boiler is down to him.

Agile prefers repairing boilers, that does not make him better at it than others, only possibly in his own opinion.

There are very sound reasons for replacing old faulty boilers, and they do not all revolve around profit for the contractor.

We make more money from repairs than installation, but the older the boiler, the more likely a subsequent repair is necessary. This often results in a call from a customer saying that we repaired their 19yr old 9 months ago, and now it has broken down again! The inference being that it must be our work that was defective.

Unfortunately, most CORGIs make their money from installation work
I doubt that you are correct. For example, are you able to say what proportion are in the categories you mention?
tumbleweed.gif

I thought not. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back