Replacing bathroom cord light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The light in my bathroom is on the way out as I have to pull the cord multiple times before it comes on so I decided to try and replace it. After buying a replacement and then taking the cover off the old one they look very different. The old one has the wires attached to the base plate that is attached to the ceiling while the new one has a base that attaches to the ceiling but doesn't even have holes in for the wires to come through. I'm guessing i'm supposed to drill holes through it for them(?) As for the wire connections, I know where the Earth wire connects but does the 'live' wire connection to COM and can the neutral go to either L1 or L2?

Attachments

• SAM_0861.JPG
    SAM_0861.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 101
  • SAM_0866.JPG
    SAM_0866.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 79
  • SAM_0865.JPG
    SAM_0865.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
The base plate has a centre piece which can be broken out ,for cable entry. There is no neutral ,the black wire is switched live ,and goes into L1, should have a small piece of red sleeving over it to denote what it is, and the red wire goes into the com terminal.

As above.

2 core cable (red and black) so comes from light as a red but returns as a black and should have a red sleeve on the wire to show it should be red not black.
People go badly wrong on lighting with returning switch wire being the wrong colour and thinking it's neutral.

Com is in and so red, and black can go to either l1 or 2.
It's straight through so actually will work whichever wire you put in com but that should be live in.

Sponsored Links
As Wayners has said, and we all know, it doesn't matter if the feed or the load goes in the common on a 1 way switch.

But TRADITIONALLY I would say it is preferred that the permanent live goes to the common.

When you have a 4 gang switch, one might 'common up' the permanent lives, so it seems logical to the link the permanent lives into each common terminal.

I think it's just something the more discerning electrician might do for the sake of consistency.

Last edited:
So if pro looks at it he won't stop and say diy work, then start to think what else is wrong. If you are doing diy then do it right because you probably should not be touching it

But it is not wrong is it? No reg about it?
No but, you must remember, that your LIFE’S MISSION has been to correct the poor uneducated DIYer who dares to step onto this forum.
usually you belly ache about the “correct” way to do things. And yet, now it’s suddenly not important.
What is the matter with you??. Is it that you have nothing constructive to say and gain contentment from sniping from the sidelines at anything that moves?

PS. Got any New Year resolutions in mind?

The base plate has a centre piece which can be broken out ,for cable entry. There is no neutral ,the black wire is switched live ,and goes into L1, should have a small piece of red sleeving over it to denote what it is, and the red wire goes into the com terminal.

I had another look and the red wire in mine is in L2 and the black wire is in COM(??) Is this bad?

Won't operate upside down as a pull switch not a wall switch.

One of the reds in light should travel to switch? Your saying its a black from light?

Fuse box to light is one red. Then to next light then next light then next light then back to fuse box accounts for 2 permanent lives in each light. Ring..Same goes for power sockets. Ring main because it's a ring of wires stopping off at each light or socket.
Then another red goes from light to switch and comes back to light as a black switch wire with red sleeve on.
Any difference in this needs looking at to check. It's all simple enough but some get in major pickle.

Last edited:
Won't operate upside down as a pull switch not a wall switch.

One of the reds in light should travel to switch? Your saying its a black from light?

Fuse box to light is one red. Then to next light then next light then next light then back to fuse box accounts for 2 permanent lives in each light. Ring..Same goes for power sockets. Ring main because it's a ring of wires stopping off at each light or socket.
Then another red goes from light to switch and comes back to light as a black switch wire with red sleeve on.
Any difference in this needs looking at to check. It's all simple enough but some get in major pickle.
Lighting circuits are not typically wired as a ring in domestic properties ,but are radial circuits .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back