Replacing EPH WRS1i with Hive - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_3131.jpg
Hi all,

I bought a Hive active heating system to replace the current set up which is the EPH wireless receiver WRS1i for my Worcester Combi boiler. I thought (perhaps stupidly) that the set up would be easy and I could avoid a BG install! When I opened the EPH receiver I realised I'm actually not sure what to do - the L and N are straightforward but I see multiple (3) Live wires so I'm stumped.

There is a wall mounted thermostat which has never worked and is wired in the current set up (pls see pic) but as its no longer required - I would appreciate any advice on what needs to be removed from the existing circuit and what should go where (given the current wiring) when installing the single channel Hive receiver?

Any help would be much appreciated!!! Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have zoned heating (Any motorised valves)? Not really sure of that setup as it’s a combi so, should only have a live, neutral, live in/common and switched live output. Also the green/yellow sleeving is normally earth protection (cpc), however it appears to have been installed as live? Is there any wiring centre?

Thanks for the reply. We dont have any zones heating (perhaps there was in the past)...I did notice that the earthing wires seem to be connected to 'OFF'. TBH, I'm also not aware of any wiring centre......There seems to be a lot connected to this receiver for some reason!!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Ok, so unfortunately removing the cover on that model, requires critical safety checks. However all is not lost. If you have access to a multimeter or two pole voltage tester it would be easier, however, I’d go with connecting the following arrangement:

L from eph to L on Hive
N on eph to N on Hive

Number 2 is live/common so take to Hive common with it being linked with a brown wire, don’t think this will be required on Hive.
3 on eph to heating on (3 on Hive)

Then whichever configuration works, terminate all extra wires in terminal blocks safely.

Last edited:
couldnt be simpler, you dont need to touch the boiler, put the hive receiver where the existing stat is, live to live, and neutral to neutral, then the two black wires in terminals 2&3 go to1&3 on the hive, remove the brown link, the two earth wires are not doing anything, just connect them to the earth tether on the hive back plate

Thank you Ian - Really appreciate your time and advice! Would you know what the brown link is actually there for?

Cheers

The link is there because the eph is volt free contacts, and Hive is 230vac, so not required. I’m still learning and dubious, whereas Ian is far more experienced than me.

The link is there because the eph is volt free contacts, and Hive is 230vac, so not required. I’m still learning and dubious, whereas Ian is far more experienced than me.
The Hive single channel is also volt free so the link shouldnt have been needed in either set up, not really sure why it is there but you shouldnt need it, your hive is just a switch, so the two black wires are the switching wires, some setups need a live as there are not enough wires from the boiler when installing the control, but you have enough so think the link was added by mistake , you dont need it , if wired correctly at the other end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back