Replacing light on a ceiling rose (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

apologies for asking what seems like the same question again, but I've looked in the for reference section and come away more confused than enlightened.

Just trying to replace an old light fitting with a new one. I've uncovered the ceiling rose (well, dug it out of the hundred layers of paint and paper might be more accurate), but inside I've got three wires coming down. A single red wire, then two with two wires in, one black and one green in each. Trying to figure out what each does.

So the red is live, and goes to the live on the light fitting. The two black and green pairs are the loop I take it?

So then to connect to a normal L N E box the live goes in L (I'm good at this), then what happens with the green and black ones?

I took a photo, if you can see the details past all the muck that fell out of the ceiling! There was a plastic guard thing holding all three connectors in place, they read from left to right live, loop and neutral.

Photo

Thanks for any help,
Cheers,
Si

Sponsored Links
I've looked in the for reference section and come away more confused than enlightened.

cant say im suprised at that because it looks like a strange setup you've got.

maybe someone will put me wrong on this because im more familiar with industrial wiring but im not sure you've got a standard arrangement here!

looks a bit oddball to me like its been done with whatevers at hand.

is there anychance you can trace the cables to see where they terminate at the other ends?

might help

well they look a bit grotty but red is switched live (L) and the two blacks are neutrals (N) and the two greens are the earths just wire up as per reference

This was a standard(ish) way of wiring things a good while back, and with fancy fittings becoming more popular, this type of wiring is making a resurgence.

The red wire is your switched live wire.
The two black wires are your neutrals
The two green wires are your earths.

There is no loop wire(s) at your fitting. (the loop will be at your switch)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=272292&highlight=#272292

Sponsored Links
industryspark wrote

maybe someone will put me wrong on this because im more familiar with industrial wiring but im not sure you've got a standard arrangement here!

thanks to RF and fireman for putting me right. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

the wiring looks positively hideous, i'd get it inspected asap.

but maybe thats just me being paranoid.

wow, quick replies, thanks folks.

I'll go have a go and fingers crossed things won't explode!

And the picture is really bad, the wires aren't quite as nasty as they look, they're just covered in some really thick black dust from some ancient loft insulation.

Thanks again,
Si

Sorry, to point out the obvious, but surely by the way the lamp is connected in the photo you can tell which wire goes where? Or have I missed something crucial?

Yes, I agree with old crafty - the wiring looks like it's burnt. Is that possible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back