Replacing old socket with round pins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone I know has just fallen on hard times, and moved into a small property with very few sockets. The one in her bedroom is the old 3-pin type with round pins, but oddly, seems to be on the end of a piece of fairly modern cable running down the wall.

Would I be risking safety by replacing it with a modern socket? She only wants to plug a bedside light into it, not an electric fire or anything...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What colour is the socket?

Is there a switch in the same room that appears to do nothing?

Could be designed for bedside lamp it is common to use the old 5A three pin sockets to connect lamps. Changing it to 13A could mean overload is possible and using a vacuum cleaner could blow the lamps.

Easy way is to fit 3 pin 5A or 2A plug on her lamp.

Of course, we shouldnt discount the possibility that its actually a very old socket and needs replacing . . .

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys – a while since I was round there, so can't remember the details. I'll check and report back!

Ummm... ericmark, are you saying it's still possible to get round-pin plugs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back