Old Round Pin Plug/socket

And you may have missed the point that the wiring behind that round pin plug may be so old and thin that is may fail under the load of a larger vacuum cleaner. Old rubber insulation can smoulder for a while before flames appear.

The risk is small but not zero.

Sponsored Links
how will you get a passable PIR for the HIPS otherwise?

That isn't a legal MUST have requirement, house can be sold as seen with a simple caveat that the electrics might need work.

Any chance for a piccy of the fuseboard and meter area?
Just like to see old installations (Yes i know, sad) :rolleyes:

Any chance for a piccy of the fuseboard and meter area?
Just like to see old installations (Yes i know, sad) :rolleyes:

I'll take my camera, rather than phone, next time I'm there. In fact I'll take phone aswell, might need fire brigade!

Lots of great points raised there, thanks to all. If Henry is rated at 1200w, wouldn't that be max? I could keep it on it's lower setting.

I don't know what PIR is, but the HIPS has been done. Nothing was mentioned about electrics until buyers lender asked for certificate to say electrics were safe, as surveyor had concerns. Electrician had quick look and just said it needs a rewire. Sale has fallen through, although not due to electrics.

I know ground floor has been rewired, as I can see the wires, not just the sockets. All new (maybe 20 years ago!) wiring is visible, ie around doors, along skirting etc.

Sponsored Links
[I don't know what PIR is, but the HIPS has been done. Nothing was mentioned about electrics ...

A PIR is a Periodic Inspection Report. A document which would tell you the condition of the electrical installation and identify any items which require repair or replacement.

The original HIP was supposed to include details of the wiring in it.
Unfortunately most of the content was removed and the current HIPs contain so little they are worthless.

A PIR is a Periodic Inspection Report. A document which would tell you the condition of the electrical installation and identify any items which require repair or replacement.
Though it's probablly not worth getting one done in this case. If you see sockets like that it's almost a given that the wiring behind them is well past it's sell by date and a rewire is needed.

BTW if at all possible DO NOT interfere with the old wiring unless you are ripping it out to rewiring. Moving old rubber wiring can often cause it to fail completely.

Who emailed me this consumer unit pic?
I have no idea on the age but looks like PVC to me so 60's onwards

BTW if at all possible DO NOT interfere with the old wiring unless you are ripping it out to rewiring. Moving old rubber wiring can often cause it to fail completely.

Don't worry, I'm touching nothing. Hoovered downstairs, haven't plugged anything in upstairs. House is for sale as is, sold as seen, all faults, needing rewire etc etc.

Who emailed me this consumer unit pic?

Not me, mines like this:

PICT0050.jpg

lol The cupboard door is open, hence 50 year old wallpaper. Imagine how bright it was 50 years ago!

Whats a DNO cutout? . . .doesn't matter . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back