Old Round Pin Plug/socket

Sponsored Links
Just a quick update. Sale has fallen through, so I'm not going to waste any more money, just sell it as it is, ie not rewired.
Just wondering if there are any implications, can I sell a house with potentially unsafe electrics? I'm sure it's fairly safe, (I've used a small vacuum upstairs, and lived), but obviously I'm no expert and can offer no guarantees.
I'm sure houses are sold in all kinds of state of repair, but do I need to have some kind of disclaimer, sold as seen type of thing?

It would be helpful to find the main fuse.

I'm interested in what kind of supply it is.

Sponsored Links
Just wondering if there are any implications, can I sell a house with potentially unsafe electrics? I'm sure it's fairly safe, (I've used a small vacuum upstairs, and lived), but obviously I'm no expert and can offer no guarantees.
I'm sure houses are sold in all kinds of state of repair, but do I need to have some kind of disclaimer, sold as seen type of thing?
IANAL, but as I see it you aren't an expert.

You didn't live there.

You've had no expert appraisal telling you that anything is amiss.

Houses are sold as seen - as long as you answer anything asked to the best of your knowledge, it's caveat emptor - let any buyer do a survey.

IANAL, but as I see it you aren't an expert.

You didn't live there.

You've had no expert appraisal telling you that anything is amiss.

Houses are sold as seen - as long as you answer anything asked to the best of your knowledge, it's caveat emptor - let any buyer do a survey.

All true, so I guess I should be OK.

Thanks.

no that's not the main fuse..

it looks like the main fuse is remote..

that wire goes straight to the meter.. :) :eek:

need to find out where it is..
might be next door?

Can any one tell me why under the meter there is a peace of what looks like 2.5mm twin and earth going to a seperate switch fuse? Looks a bit weird it been attached to the terminals under the meter.

And why is there a new hager double pole switch disconnector fitted to the what looks like VIR tales with a peace of what looks like 2.5mm twin and earth going up into the house? Its not for single point of disconnection as there is another two switch fuses so no sure why it is needed or even there. Unless its a double pole MCB the photo was a little unclear.

Edit: So there are fuse carries BS1361 HRC in that mini CU as well, over looked that so the switch disconnector is for that CU. Makes sense.

Looks a mess! Cannot work out where the DNO cut out is. Is the meter fed in MICC? I cannot tell.

Adam

The meter is probably fed from that cable to the left of the meter going down behind the wallpaper. Probably rubber covered wires in steel conduit.

The rest is a huge mess and the only sensible option is to remove everything and start again. Likewise with the wiring to the rest of the property.

I can't make head nor tale of it, but that's no surprise!

I have found a receipt for 'Lighting Rewire' from about 12 years ago. That might account for some of the extra stuff, ie wires going up through the ceiling.

Downstairs has modern sockets and upstairs (only two bedrooms) has ONE socket, which is that little old round pin one. You'd think that would have been changed when the work was getting done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back