Replacing Socket in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double socket in my garden installed by the builders.

It is a GET GWP3020., like in the folllowing link:
http://cpc.farnell.com/get/gwp3020/2-gang-switched-ip55-sckt/dp/PL08021

It does not seal the plug when there is something plugged in. I want to run some garden lights from it, so I want to replace it with an IP66 type socket.

Do all these sockets have standard fixing hole distances?
So I could simply remove the socket and rewire without having to drill new mounting holes?
Or are they all different?

Sponsored Links
You can't rely on the screw spacing being the same.

I find the Crabtree one very good, they're a major manufacturer so may have a dimensioned drawing somewhere on their website.

The MK weatherseal is also good, but may be more expensive.

BTW consider using stainless screws to fix it to the wall. you can buy small packets on ebay at negligible cost.

p.s.
Unless the socket is fed from an RCD-protected circuit, you will need an RCD socket.

My vote would be for masterseal. They're just a dream to use and fit compared to anything else I've ever used. The wiring space is insane and they're easy to fix.

Whatever you do, do not buy a GET socket. They're on the shelf in a couple of our wholesalers and the fixing screws are so recessed you have to find a slim screwdriver to screw then to the wall, and when you try and screw the socket front back they're under the sprung hinge for the lid so it keeps biting you

My vote would be for masterseal. They're just a dream to use and fit compared to anything else I've ever used. The wiring space is insane and they're easy to fix. Whatever you do, do not buy a GET socket. .... when you try and screw the socket front back they're under the sprung hinge for the lid so it keeps biting you
Have Masterseal changed? Whilst I agree that they are otherwise fantastic, I feel sure that the ones I have used have always 'bitten' in the manner you describe.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Have Masterseal changed? Whilst I agree that they are otherwise fantastic, I feel sure that the ones I have used have always 'bitten' in the manner you describe.

Kind Regards, John
Fitted one of each today, the cheap one was actually Click not GET but the design is one and the same. MK sockets do not have a sprung lid, or at least, it's not as vicious as the cheap ones. It will fall down as your trying to fix the socket front in place, but it doesn't hurt.

Also, you fix the MK to the wall/post etc with the front completely off so the lid is not in the way then, Click you screw to the wall once the socket is all put together, so double the amount of biting time.

MK sockets do not have a sprung lid, or at least, it's not as vicious as the cheap ones. It will fall down as your trying to fix the socket front in place, but it doesn't hurt.
OK, I'll give you that the MK springs are not as vicious, but I personally haven't seen one without some spring.
Also, you fix the MK to the wall/post etc with the front completely off so the lid is not in the way then, Click you screw to the wall once the socket is all put together, so double the amount of biting time.
Yes, that is a definite pain. However, I've seen some (can't remember which) non-MK ones that also have a 'back box' that can be fitted before one puts the front on.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back