Respiratory disease surge

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"Europe is facing a “tridemic” that threatens to push health systems to the limit as a surge in flu cases is compounded by Covid-19 and other respiratory illnesses.

Spain and Italy are among the countries worst affected as hospitals struggle to cope with an influx of patients and coronavirus-era mask mandates are reintroduced in health facilities in some regions.

Upticks in cases have also been reported in Germany, where the public health authority said a flu wave officially began on December 11, and in France, where 10 out of 18 regions are officially in an epidemic phase. In the UK, there has been a slight rise in flu cases and hospitalisations, with officials warning that the peak was yet to come.

In Spain, Christmas superspreader events led to an increase in flu cases by 75 per cent in the final week of 2023, according to data from the state-backed Carlos III Health Institute. Reports of flu leading to severe pneumonia are proliferating.

Nearly half of all flu tests in Spain came back positive in the last week of December versus 27 per cent in the previous seven days. Covid-19 cases stabilised with only 10 per cent of tests positive at the end of 2023, but the virus was causing a rising number of hospital admissions, especially among people over 80, the Carlos III institute said."

"Children, meanwhile, were coming down with respiratory syncytial virus, which can cause bronchiolitis and has led to a sharp rise in hospitalisations of infants aged under one."

FT.com

Sponsored Links
chrome_screenshot_11 Jan 2024 01_13_41 GMT.png

I saw mention of a new RSV vaccine last year, but I can't find numbers of doses given.

most older UK residents will have been offered flu and covid jabs already. Government stats say that uptake is lower than last year, at 70% for COVID and 77% for flu for over 65's.

Anyone who cares can look at

I had my flu jab the same time as I had my 4th covid jab. Haven’t caught either so far. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored Links
I sometimes get it at Boots, which has much better online booking than my GP.

I found an RSV doc now.

The danger is much greater for infants under 1.

There is also a risk for old people, and it looks like they might be given it as the vacc is so cheap. Unclear if it will be over 75s or over 65s. Maybe it will be accelerated if there is a surge. IMO people who are, or may become, parents or grandparents should have it too.

I had chickenpox not long ago, and was given the Shingles jab later. I understand the 'pox is rare in adults.

I must say I am very impressed by the disease reduction and lives saved by the HPV jab. Can you believe some people were opposed to it because they thought it would encourage young people to have sex?

...We’re in the midst of the largest global surge in daily Covid infections since Omicron, with nearly 2 million new infections per day estimated in the US alone. Odds are, you barely noticed.
The massive rise in cases is being driven by coronavirus variant JN.1, which emerged in September and quickly became the dominant strain. But hospitalization rates are generally lower than they were this time last year (90 admissions per million people in the US, roughly 65 percent the size of last year’s spike). “It’s really encouraging that we don’t have a big parallel spike of hospitalizations,” says Eric Topol, professor of molecular medicine at the Scripps Research Translational Institute.

These numbers are rough estimates. Accurately tracking Covid infections is trickier than ever, which is partly why the current wave has gone under the radar. Testing and tracing infrastructure has been all but dismantled in the US, so researchers have turned to our sewage as a proxy. Wastewater surveillance data is collected locally from regions accounting for roughly 40 percent of the US population. This paints a decent picture of Covid trends, but without the CDC tracking cases and deaths like they used to, it’s hard to tell what’s going on. “Rosier numbers don’t necessarily reflect a better season than last year,” Cameron says.

Since 2021, all dominant Covid variants have descended from Omicron. The 2023–2024 booster was tailored for the XBB.1.5 strain of Omicron, but JN.1 is about as different from XBB.1.5 as Omicron was from Delta. Even so, researchers from China and the US have posted preliminary analyses suggesting that the newest vaccines still effectively defend against JN.1.

That is, if people keep up with their vaccinations—and most haven’t. Over 80 percent of people in the US have not yet received the updated 2023–2024 booster shot, the CDC reported last week. For young, otherwise healthy people, the risk of getting seriously sick is very low. In the absence of widespread public health messaging or up-to-date vaccine requirements, most low-risk Americans ignored the latest booster rollout. In the UK, people with lower risk levels aren’t eligible for the winter 2023 vaccine at all (and the window for eligible folks to get their jab closes at the end of January).

Wired.com

So, if you've not had a jab go get one. Now.

Good god, he's a fan of the mad sausage womsn

I was only asking if there's a cut off point where you can have too many boosters.

Not really, flu boosters have been given every year for a long time now. No limit.

When I signed up at a doctors at university, they told me to not have any more tetanus shots (I'd been stabbed frequently for the two years prior, by the works nurse).

I still don't know who was right.

Sponsored Links
Back