Responsibility for builder building to SE spec?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it building control's responsibility to check that the builder builds to the structural engineer’s design and specification?

Sponsored Links
Irrespective of who's responsibility it may be one should absolutely not rely on Building Control to do so.

Sponsored Links
Well…The builder did not follow the SE design and has subsequently had to reinforce a column among other things to fix the issues caused. However, the builder has again not followed the SE design and has put some of the stiffeners in not quite the correct place, used stiffeners 5mm less in depth and some don't reach the full width of the web, so are a bit redundant. BCO is due tomorrow

Last edited:
building control are not quality standard inspectors, it can be 90% not to your spec but iff the end results will satisfy what his or her concerns are thats all they are will look at they may or may not mention the poor attempt at complying with what you expect iff it complies to regs but not your quality control that is your problem thats why you have someone overseeing the work keeping it up to standard

Last edited:
Doubtless you will point these out to the BCO.

Blup

Not much faith in BC then. I would have thought that if the builder did not build to the SE spec then the building is unsafe and therefore doesn’t meet regs. Why my builder insists on cutting corners when it would be just as quick to do the job correctly is beyond me…

"reinforce a column"?......."issues"?........"Stiffeners 5mm less..."?

The mind boggles; are there any pics?

It would be your responsibility contractually as you are the person with the contract with them and paying them, and assuming you don't have your own clerk of works or architect retained, however there are all sorts of laws for example CDM and health and safety act that would be on your side in more extreme cases.
For maximum clout you could pay the SE to come back and inspect and write a report stating what needs doing to rectify it, and tell the builder they will be paid when the SE is happy.
But definitely worth trying building control to help make your case.

Good luck!

Not much faith in BC then. I would have thought that if the builder did not build to the SE spec then the building is unsafe and therefore doesn’t meet regs. Why my builder insists on cutting corners when it would be just as quick to do the job correctly is beyond me…
in correct assumption really
insulation' mechanical strength'noise transmission all within remit but not general standards and not quality off Finnish you need someone on your side to control standards as it not their concern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back