Revoke Article 50 Petition crashed by volume of traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellow Traveller is an American term
So is "internet".

And "a la carte" is French.

No matter how many times you try and pretend otherwise, people do know what words and terms originating in other countries mean. If you want to stick just with American English, then what about "elevator", "sidewalk", "cookie", "vacation"...

Sponsored Links
Oh dear oh dear
BAS has thrown his toys out and resorts to insults
Why?

Notch cannot comprehend why people resort to insult, when he refuses to accept the absolute obvious, and repeats his absurd assertion time and time again, despite numerous proofs that he is not only wrong, but wrong in the face of such obvious, clear, undeniable evidence.

If you want to add to the discussion, provide your argument.
It was direct response to your lack of understanding why intelligent debate is distorted to ludicrous nonsense by you trying to avoid the blatantly obvious.

Yet even that you failed to appreciate, and reduced the discussion to your typical spurious denigration.

Seems like quite a few on here need to read more if you have not come across the term fellow traveller but saying that many on here never knew what WTO meant and still don't.

Sponsored Links
Apart from on here, I have never heard the phrase "fellow travellers" used for anything other than to describe persons sharing a common journey from physical place A, to physical place B.
How much of a leap is it to transfer the concept to someone of like minded thinking?
Should a hamburger only apply to a bread roll containing ham?

Fellow Traveller is an American term -hence why it appears in your Wikepedia link.

As notch says, anything that appears on Wikipedia is American and does not apply anywhere else.

I wonder what the laws of gravity are, outside the US.

Ok -

so Bas was implying that Vinty, durhamplumber and andy11 are communist sympathisers.

My mistake.
No, your mistake is yet again being such a f***wit that you think people are not going to notice you, yet again, ignoring words in order to distort the meaning of a term.

Over and over again in the definitions quoted by JohnD you will have seen the phrase "especially the Communist Party", and yet here you are, thinking that everybody is so stupid that they will accept you pretending that that word, which inevitably makes it clear that it is not always the CP, is not there.

Apart from on here, I have never heard the phrase "fellow travellers" used for anything other than to describe persons sharing a common journey from physical place A, to physical place B.
Your failing, not mine.

How much of a leap is it to transfer the concept to someone of like minded thinking?
Not much.

But there are some here who still want to pretend that it is impossible so that they can pretend that I cannot have meant anything except "traveller" in the pejorative British English sense, or that I mean Communist Party sympathisers.

Don't be surprised if, despite the clarifications in the past, despite the references to the definition, and despite the way their allegations have been refuted in this topic, they try the same things all over again the next time I use the term.

Should a hamburger only apply to a bread roll containing ham?

Not much, but at the risk of repeating myself, I hahad not heard it used in that way before.

So you accept that BAS's use was a perfectly reasonable use of the word?

Not really: the term "traveller" is almost exclusively used pejoratively in this country.
If / when it becomes more commonly used in BAS' claimed context, then yes.

So is "internet".

And "a la carte" is French.

No matter how many times you try and pretend otherwise, people do know what words and terms originating in other countries mean. If you want to stick just with American English, then what about "elevator", "sidewalk", "cookie", "vacation"...
All drivel.

I said American term, not in common use in this country.

Traveller means somthing else here -pejorative term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back