riello burner motor buzzing and then lock out

Sponsored Links
Why did you replace motor and pump??

i Replaced the motor and pump because of the buzzing i was told by an engineer that it was probly a weak motor caused by a warn pump and advised me to change them both so i did but i still have the same problem :rolleyes: only thing left is that coupling i guess.

Have you checked the capacitor with a meter to make sure it is 4uf. ;)

Have you checked the capacitor with a meter to make sure it is 4uf. ;)
i did get another copacitor but it was a second hand one that a plumber had in the back of his van so i guess it could be shot i do have a volt meter but am not sure how to check it

Sponsored Links
It has to have a capacitance range (not all do)!!

I would bet a pound to a pinch of sh#t that capacitor is fuc#ed!!

Why did you not get a new one for a few quid first, before motor etc :confused:

It has to have a capacitance range (not all do)!!

I would bet a pound to a pinch of sh#t that capacitor is fuc#ed!!

Why did you not get a new one for a few quid first, before motor etc :confused:

mate it was the saturday before christmas when the burner started locking out i tried evey where to get a capacitor but couldnt so ended up ringing a local heating engineer who had one in the back of his van i thought it was that to start with i was so sure never gave it a thought that it could be nackard aswell. probly why it was in the back of his van

Why did you replace motor and pump??

i Replaced the motor and pump because of the buzzing i was told by an engineer that it was probly a weak motor caused by a warn pump and advised me to change them both so i did but i still have the same problem :rolleyes: only thing left is that coupling i guess.

That's really unfortunate to have come across a dork like that. I have every sympathy for people who get fed such rubbish. That "engineer" obviously has something requiring attention.

The motor is just some coils, VERY occasionally they may short circuit, but then the motor fails completely, and may smell too. Otherwise the motor is the most reliable component in the burner. It may need bearings changing, but other than that they usually last the life of the boiler. A worn pump wont cause a problem either. If you can turn the shaft of the pump with fingers without too much difficulty, then the motor will have no problem. Misalignment is taken care of by the coupling. The only thing left is the capacitor. This provides a phase shift to one of the coils so that there is a torque available to get the motor running. I regularly measure the capacitor at services, and change them if they fall below 3uF. If I don't, I may get called back next week. Embarrassing. Before I put the new one in, I measure that too. I don't want the hassle of having to do the replacement twice if I have picked up a faulty one.

One thing you can try, is to remove the fan and pump, connect up the supply and when the motor buzzes, spin the shaft of the motor clockwise. Mind your fingers though. If the motor runs, then it's the capacitor.

Look online for Riello oil burner spares.

Thanks i pretty sure fan is not jaming on anything i moved it slightly away from casing because like you say it can catch the resistance feels like compreson sort of like a small piston compressing air when it reaches top dead centre then goes loose again

That almost sounds like a bent or misaligned shaft!

Tony

Although I'm not suggesting that this is the problem here, we have seen a number of recent Reillo burners with 'tight' oil pumps, which eventually shear the drive dog.

Had three new Grants fail in 2007 due to this.

Hi guys, thanks for all the ideas. i will pick up a new capacitor and coupling tonight on the way home, i will let you all know how i get on thank you for all your help so far much appreciated been pulling my hair out :rolleyes:

replaced capacitor so far no lock out will know for definate by the morning.

well chaps locked out this morning but don't know why. fired up for HW then locked out later that morning when firing up for CH motor kicks up every time now, so this is a different issue any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back