ring main

If you have in issue with my drawing, then perhaps you'd like to spend your time re-drawing it more accurately, and detailing every regulation the circuit has to comply with while you're at it.

The drawing shows singles without any containment. How come you havn't taken issue with that too?

Sponsored Links
If you have in issue with my drawing, then perhaps you'd like to spend your time re-drawing it more accurately, and detailing every regulation the circuit has to comply with while you're at it.
I will in due course bring it up to date - not sure why you would want every regulation on it as well - but if you want I can do that as well.

The drawing shows singles without any containment. How come you havn't taken issue with that too?
The OP's asked for a ring final circuit diagram and agreed that the diagram as presented reflected his views on how wire a final ring circuit.
Your diagram was presented to the OP as the way to wire a ring final circuit.
But you yourself agreed the diagram was incorrect when you added your warning statement to the diagram.

The picture indicates that the start and return of the ring main should be connected independently in the consumer unit. This is incorrect, the start of a ring should end at the same place on one circuit breaker.

This warning did not accompany the drawing and as such I highlighted this fact this and added that, except in special circumstances, there also needs to be additional protection introduced into the circuit.

Given your vast experience on this website, if you feel I have made an error in drawing the OP's attention to these missing elements contained within the diagram then I will withdraw my comments.

Ignore the diagram shown above.
Nothing wrong with the diagram, can you tell us whats wrong with it.
Where's the additional protection?
Last time I checked the live/live went to the same mcb.

Being a bit pedantic here I feel. Why didn't you mention that there is no evidence of the terminations with in the socket outlets? Just because they have been drawn closer together does not indicate that they go to the same terminal.:rolleyes:

Since your being so picky what do you mean when you say live/live. Do you mean line/line, line neutral, neutral/neutral. For clarity the 2 lines of the ring final go into one circuit protective device. The 2 neutrals go into the same terminal on the corresponding neutral bar and the 2 cpc's go into the earth bar!;)

The drawing provided is not a wiring diagram!

Sponsored Links
Being a bit pedantic here I feel. Why didn't you mention that there is no evidence of the terminations with in the socket outlets? Just because they have been drawn closer together does not indicate that they go to the same terminal.:rolleyes:
If you feel it is pedantic to highlight to the OP that his ring final circuit needs to have additional protection- then on your head be it.
I have already responded to cu termination issue above.

Where did I say it was?

Where did I say it was?

You insinuated that the provided diagram was wrong and your defence for that stated
Where's the additional protection?
Last time I checked the live/live went to the same mcb.
Why would a block diagram have to show the components and terminations? Who's to say that the op's consumer unit is not protected via a RCD already!

Why would a block diagram have to show the components and terminations? Who's to say that the op's consumer unit is not protected via a RCD already!
Oh Dear.
Come on make your mind up have I called it a wiring diagram or a block diagram? Well neither actually.
I just treated the diagram as is and pointed out to the OP that there needs to be additional protection - if he already has it great. I additionally pointed out that the diagram as shown by Chris5 was effectively missing a very important caveat highlighted by the author. You can see his caveat here:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:socket_circuits:a1_ring_final_circuit

Really not sure why you are getting your nickers in such a twist?

Insults and more insults, but you can't explain what is wrong with the drawing because of your lack of experience and desire to be aggressive and insulting.

I couldn't understand why you had taken that stance - I could see we had a disagreement over the how the OP might wire his lighting and some of the elements of a ring final circuit - fair enough - as I said I design each circuit as required for the circumstances.
Then I realised something :oops:
I had misread your name -
Terribly sorry - I will edit my bits accordingly.

Come on now fellas, we all know what a ring final circuit is, how it's installed and how it's connected, the OP on the other hand doesnt, although I suspect all the info is in the wiki.

We all know how to properly test a ring final (what a lot of additional time consumed there), the OP doesn't and probably hasn't got the test equipment to do so.

Shouldn't we be concerned about supply type, size of supply cable, presece of extraneous conductive parts, residual current devices, not fannying around with and arguing about little drawings??

Oh Dear.
Come on make your mind up have I called it a wiring diagram or a block diagram? Well neither actually.

No you didn't and neither did I say that you did. I merely indicated that the diagram was not a wiring diagram so would not show the additional protection or protective devices. What I am saying is there is nothing wrong with the block diagram that was provided plain and simple. If the op could not understand where the conductors for the ring final terminate then he/she should not be working on them!

And as I said with regards to the additional protection the OP has not confirmed whether it is present or not! The CU may already have RCD protection but without confirmation by the op there is no way to know.

I to share your concern with the op carrying out this work as if he/she does not know how to wire a ring final then how on earth is he/she going to test one and fill in the certification required!

Well to help everyone out, the op is protected and was only asking people advice as he couldnt do it and was told it was easy, i told him to come here for advice cos my m8 couldnt get to him to sort it, but it has all been done and tested , cant believe how bad it gets just cos someone asked for advice,
this should stop everyone from having a disagreement now

I'm confused, are you the OP under another username Shelectrical or do you know the OP personally?

They are both from Lincolnshire and there is a marked similarity in their dreadful style of writing.

They are both from Lincolnshire and there is a marked similarity in their dreadful style of writing.

spark123. i know him personaly. i

ban-all-sheds - and dreadful style of writing, no just type how i want, there aint a way to write, type or do anything. its a free world to type how i want.
cant believe how much people argue on here about advice, oh and my friend has deleted his account as he thought the insults was un-called for and i agree
oh i forgot i have to write in a style,,, hahaha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back