Rip Off Britain!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lordbenny, 20 Sep 2011.

1. Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'll keep this as brief as possible....The Thermostatic cartridge has packed up on my shower. It's made by Hudson Reed. Got onto Hudson Reed and was informed that the price would be £115. I thought that was a bit steep so after some detective work I found this:

http://de.hudsonreed.com/product/Hu..._Fach_und_3_Fach_Mischbatterien/364/2066.html

As you will notice this product is advertised on Hudson Reeds German website at a price of 37 Euros.

I phoned Hudson Reed UK back and said I have seen the thermostat advertised on the German website and I want it at that price. I'm sorry sir was the answer, you have to order it in the UK if you want delivery to the UK.

Funny because the Germans will send it to Belgium, France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain & Austria but not the UK.

Whats fking worse is that when you click on the contacts section of the GERMAN website it give you UK contact details & the product gets sent from the UK!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:evil:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Blasphemous

Blasphemous

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah that sounds about right for this country.

4. libby lou lou

libby lou lou

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ripoff yes, but can you not order from belgium, for example?, not ideal i know.

headlight for a talbot express,britain, ave £90 each, Germany, ave £60, the pair :eek: , lefthand drive only, ripoff britain.

5. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There should be a law against that. Common Market etc...

I would talk to Consumer Direct: 08454 04 05 06.

6. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Benny, if you can remove the thermostat and leave it in a bowel of Viakal (cost about £3) it will clean the internal parts and might work again. Its work a go.

Andy

7. Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i can remove it but can soak it for long as I can't isolate the water supply to the shower so I have to turn off at the mains! I do however know a plumber in Belgium who can get me a 37 euro replacement.

In the meantime I've called Trading Standards and European Consumer Services and they say there's not a lot I can do about it.

This really makes my **** boil, I also called Hudson Reed again and they basically said that they can charge whatever they want to and it was tough that I couldn't get a foreign website to deliver to the UK. :evil:

8. jarvis2

jarvis2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Get yourself a free website and warn others about this crap company.

9. amy9

amy9

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We do get ripped off here but at least we don't have to pay 7 euros for a beer (as in Norway).

There definitely are more expensive places than the UK, and places in which some things cost more than here while we may pay more for other things.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. expertgasman

expertgasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You are absolutely right, Amy (are you a gal, per chance?). I get fed up with folk knocking the UK for everything.

With the current exchange rates, a lot of stuff is now cheaper here, and don't grt me started on the benefits of the NHS. (or the constant deriders)

12. Lordbenny

Lordbenny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just got a new one after the Mrs visited some friends in Belgium the husband happens to be a plumber....£25.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. mickyg

mickyg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    7 euros, thats not bad, I just been in singapore where i was relieved of £9 for a pint of fosters ! Have to agree though, we get alot of stuff cheaper here, gas boilers is one example, they're about half the price here compared to mainland europe. We tend to get the products cheaper then get screwed for spares, whereas on the mainland they get screwed for the product but have sensibly priced spares.

14. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    See, a secret scatologist :idea: More than just a Freudian slip Andy ;)

15. amy9

amy9

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    £9, ouch. And for Fosters. That's just rubbing salt in the wounds!

See maybe England really isn't all that bad.

16. amy9

amy9

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yes, I am a gal :)

17. Mickymoody

Mickymoody

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That reminds me of the time when doing a Euro tour; my mate decided it would be a good idea to do laps at the Nurburgring...I used the computers to drive a computer simulation, and couldn't keep the car on the road, and watched a video of all the people that have been killed there previously.

So he gets 3 corners in, comes of the track, smacks the armco, smashes his intercooler into a thousand pieces.

He goes to Toyota Germany, for a replacement....eventually, as none of us speak German, the part can be shipped from England, in two weeks. A car made in Japan.

So we fixed it with bits of deckchair, rubber pipes, and wood. Got it back to the UK, where it was declared a write off. And I found out my MOT had expired the week before we went. oops.