Risco Lightsys 2 wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm trying to install a lightsys 2 alarm, I have zero experience of this but I've got to sort out 5 flats so I have 5 of these to do and I'd rather learn how to do it myself than pay for someone else to do it.
I think there is an assumption in the instructions of prior knowledge, like how to wire a PIR. Which is probably fair enough but I need help!
Sorry if these are a bit basic:

1 - Is there a wiring diagram for the PIR? I cannot find one that is simple enough for me, and shows exactly where the 6 terminals should be connected (for a given zone). Is the 7th terminal (LED) connected to anything?
2 - I cannot wire up the bell without the bell temper being triggered. There seemed to be instructions for connecting the bell in the wiring diagram which I'm pretty sure I followed (in the attached picture)

3 - Should each of the unused zones have a resistor between the Z terminal and the COM terminal? That's what I did to stop the zone tampers triggering. Is that right or is that mad?

4- there is some configuration software that runs on Windows but the Risco website won't let me download it. Or pay for it. Does it allow me to perform all configuration on a laptop rather than messing with the panel?

If the answer is to read some guide, then please point me towards it.

Thanks for your help,
Euan

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,281
Sponsored Links
Why on earth did you choose something like this to install with no experience!
The diagram you need is bottom left of picture ( cut off ) labelled SAB
you normally need 5 cores to connect most standard bellboxes

Ah yes, a Self Actuating Bell! Ok that should help with that.
I could probably have found a simpler system but I really like the look of the app!
I only have a couple of PIRs, a bell and the keypad. The keypad was very easy to get going. But am I imagining it or do the instructions assume I know how to wire the pir?
Thanks for your patience

How did you buy it, Risco don't sell these systems to distributors?

They are only supposed to sell to the alarm trade and all manufactures assume an installer knows the basics and mainly give descriptions of the functions they offer so the installer can pick the most appropriate one.

alarm manufacturers give free training to installers usually.

Sponsored Links
But am I imagining it or do the instructions assume I know how to wire the pir?
Thanks for your patience

I think if your attempting to install a professional security you should know the basics ie wiring a PIR. The honeywell galaxy range for example doesn't even come with a manual.

What pirs do you have, they normally come with instructions.
You should have power terminals
N/C relay terminals
And 2 tamper terminals

I wouldn't worry about the led terminal.
Use red for +
Black for -
And then use another pair for your zone. However the zone wiring will depend if your using end of line method or separate alarm and tamper pairs, can you confirm?

Last edited:
Wow, I cant believe this thread and I for one am out from providing help on this one.

So wait you want to save money by installing 5 systems for 5 flats with not even knowing the basics.

Clearly this isn't a case of DIYER needing help but some commercial transactions are going on and you want the pros on this forum to help you out so you can make a few more quid, doesn't sit well with me. Its one thing helping someone but you are probably going to need hand holding as you don't understand the basics, not only that it is for commercial gain.

If you regularly do flats and other buildings and want to put alarms in, the only advice I will offer is go get the basic training and tools first, get the Risco training second. To get Free Risco training you will need to register as an installer with them.

If they sold you the kit, you must be registered with them or did it fall off the back of a lorry?

If he doesn't know the basics how do you expect for him to be able to answer your question?

The lightsys panel has zone terminal common and zone terminal, depending on what devices he has he can wire it to the bus(must be risco bus devices), or he can wire it to the zones, I would opt for DEOL if doing the latter as it will make things easier if they go wrong and one device one zone, otherwise its a global tamper.

He is going to install detectors without even knowing if they are the right type for the place they are being fitted.

Well this doesn't seem to have gone down very well!
It wasn't particularly hard to buy it as we are a development company, perhaps they assumed it wasn't going to be given to a newbie who didn't know anything!
I have a Digi-Sense 15M PIR detector.
I think the information I needed was the Double End of Line Zone Configuration, not sure if that will get me there or not. Anyway, I've given it to the electrician as he does have experience of wiring this type of alarm. I was just interested in learning.
Thanks for the help anyway

no worries, if Risco sold to you, then you should be able to get the software from them you will need to register and get approved for the download.
How you connect to the panel may also require a dedicated lead.

If the sparky is used to setting up alarms the wiring shouldn't be an issue, the programing is getting used to there terminology as each alarm system works in similar ways but the terms used and how the function differ slightly, Risco sell several different systems and they do not use all the same terminology or function in exactly the same way, but they tend to be grouped together, same with every manufacturer.

Texecom for example is Veritas/ Premier international/ Premier elite all these systems made by the same company, but the terminology used differs and the way those groups function differ, but there are 3 distinct groups for programming. If you know the basics you can work the rest out relatively easily but may still get a strange result if you misunderstand something.

You can see from all the threads posted and the replies given, people do help out a lot, you will see some simple answers and some more complex ones.

When it comes to equipment, its easiest to stick with the same manufacturer throughout as adding someone elses equipment means that the terminals don't marry up like for like, and some components don't always explain very well if at all how they may work on other systems.

To be fair you have answered some of your own questions but you probably don't realise it, we don't know whos bell you are using and how you have wired it versus how you think about wiring it, the panel from the diagram is looking for a resistance of 2.2K to be secure wrt to the bell tamper.

but if you was using one of the bus sounders from Risco you would use as many wires and you would be wiring to a different place on the bell and the panel.

basics for getting swift help.

include pictures of what you have done and names of all the component parts.
easier for us to work out what might be wrong that way.

also it doesn't help you any, by coming on and saying you have 5 systems to install and don't know the basics, it doesn't sit well with me particularly as you may have guessed, I can't speak for everyone else but some of the replies may indicate a little disbelief. Not everyone knows every system available there is absolutely hundreds if not tens of thousands + combinations possible and believe it or not the basics will help you get down to working out the nitty gritty for a particular combo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back