Rishi says every crime should be investigated

A policy not to investigate is not the same thing as having priorities. Criminals know that they can shoplift with impunity up to a certain value.

Tax payers money is not infinite, spending money is not the only solution. If you spent much time working with plod, you'd realise there are many many problems, that are not about spending money.
Who sets the policy "not to investigate"

Just a local thing or a national thing ?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't put it past plod to arrest for conspiracy on the basis of one suspect, but quite right to investigate. Almost as many officers as for that sycamore tree.

Blup

A 16-YEAR-OLD boy who started his lumberjacking career yesterday would rather you did not ask how his first day went.

Young tree feller Jack Browne is still recovering from a “mental” first day at work and would rather you talk to him about something else, like the football or his plans for the weekend.

He said: “Seriously, I get enough tree chat at the office. It’s all ‘sycamore’ this and ‘you’ve mutilated a beloved symbol of the North East’ that. It gets a bit repetitive.

“Plus I think the older guys played some sort of initiation prank on me. I had to drive way out to cut down my first tree, which I thought was a bit odd because it wasn’t in anybody’s way. Meanwhile they’re back there in the van ****ing themselves.

“I thought I did a great job considering I’m inexperienced, but nobody has bothered to thank me. Maybe I should pack in this lumberjacking lark and go into plumbing. There’s probably more money in it.

“I left enough of the root so it can grow back in a few hundred years so I really don’t see what the big deal is. Anyway, can we see what’s on TV? Anything except the news is fine.”

Sponsored Links
I don't think my local policeman is deciding not to investigate. Fairy sure it's not his sergeant, or anybody else at his "station".

Unlikely that it is just my town, or even county that has "this policy", which probably means it's a national thing.

Now that may mean all the chiefs of all the forces may have had a chat and all decided between them " not to investigate"

Or more likely, they are following an agenda set by "further up".

But of course your link puts all that straight

As you say, an opinion based on no real experience of working with plod.

I just told you - the police
They set priorities because they have to work within their allotted budget.
And who awards them their budget?
And how often does their award fall woefully short of their needs?

The majority of public funding for the police forces in England and Wales is provided by the Home Office and is agreed by the UK Parliament on an annual basis, known as the police funding settlement.

The Elected Local Policing Bodies (Specified Information) (Amendment) Order 2021 was implemented in May 2021. This Order provides that information relating to a police force’s performance against the Government’s published national priorities for policing,

NATIONAL PRIORITIES FOR POLICING​

In 2021, the Home Secretary announced the new national Crime and Policing Measures, which set out the Government’s key national priorities on crime.

Policing priorities​

Inquiry​

Earlier this year, the Home Affairs Committee approved the appointment of a new Chief Inspector of Policing, the former Merseyside Chief Constable Andy Cooke. Since then, Mr Cooke has repeatedly made news by calling on police forces to focus on preventing and solving crime.
We have chosen to inquire into the Priorities of Policing at a time when public confidence in the police is low. The Metropolitan Police Service, the country’s largest, is in special measures – remarkably, so are five more forces in England: Greater Manchester, Cleveland, Gloucestershire, Staffordshire and Wiltshire. Far from solving crimes, forces are accused of not even recording them, contrasting with Mr Cooke’s view that police should attend every burglary.

Last edited:
They set priorities because they have to work within their allotted budget.
And who awards them their budget?
And how often does their award fall woefully short of their needs?
But let's blame the police.

Throw out some big documents (that actually say acquisitive crime should be prioritised) and hope everybody just believes.

Often known as bluster or BS

But let's blame the police.

Throw out some big documents (that actually say acquisitive crime should be prioritised) and hope everybody just believes.

Often known as bluster or BS
Quite. They say what they want then refuse to fund it adequately.
Then they blame the service providers and anyone else who comes to mind.

It’s one thing to prioritise, it’s something else to not even bother. Problem is, word gets out and as long as you keep it under £50, you can make a career of robbing the local shops one after the other.

everyone is a winner except the customers who pay more and the shopkeeper who has to deal with the thieves.

It’s one thing to prioritise, it’s something else to not even bother. Problem is, word gets out and as long as you keep it under £50, you can make a career of robbing the local shops one after the other.

everyone is a winner except the customers who pay more and the shopkeeper who has to deal with the thieves.
Your link didn't say what you tried to suggest it did.

Priorities use resources. That costs money.

Sponsored Links
Back