road accident statistics

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The real deal..

Driving Offences: Foreigners

[url=http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmhansrd/cm070605/text/70605w0012.htm#70605w0012.htm_wqn9]Hansard[/url] said:

Mr. Paterson: To ask the Minister of State, Ministry of Justice how many (a) UK licence holders and (b) foreign licence holders were (i) prosecuted, (ii) convicted, (iii) banned from driving and (iv) imprisoned for offences relating to (A) fatal road traffic accidents, (B) serious road traffic accidents and (C) minor road traffic accidents in each year since 1997. [139563]

Mr. Sutcliffe: While the Department for Transport monitors details of road traffic accidents, this information is not linked with details of any subsequent prosecutions.

Information collected on the Court Proceedings Database held by the Office for Criminal Justice Reform on the number of prosecutions, convictions, custodial sentences and disqualifications for 'accident'
5 Jun 2007 : Column 379W
offences under the Road Traffic Act 1988 section 170 (4) and (7) does not distinguish between those offences which resulted in injury from those which resulted in damage or both. Neither does the data identify UK/non-UK licence holders in breach of driving licence regulations.
-

Crafty, look at it this way, you are 21 and have been involved in 3 accidents that have cost the insurance industry as a whole over £18,000. Now obviously I don't know how good a driver you are and have no reason to dispute what you say about your personal competance as a driver, however there is a lot more to driving than being able to control your own car, you have to be able to predict traffic conditions and other road users intents, this is something that comes with experience, in a sense you start driving for other drivers, I have lost count of the number of times that I've predicted what another driver is going to do, whereas the outward and obvious signs of the situation would fool an inexperience driver. Premise is your a good driver when you can aviod accidents whether or not they would have been your fault.

Oh. would I insure ? Yes, but at a loaded premium.

ellal said:
However, I suspect that it could be classed as 'racial descrimination' if insurance companies then set insurance levels due to race - and hence statistics are probably not compiled...
As empip has pointed out, the government doesn't do the work necessary to result in knowing the answer to anobium's question, but my money would be on insurance underwriters doing it, because if they get their calculations wrong then they don't make money.

It doesn't have to be on a racial basis - insurers always ask how long a UK driving license has been held by the drivers, and compute the risk according to this and the other factors (age, gender, occupation, driving record etc.).

<soapbox>

If I could change the law I'd make it so that it's illegal to drive a car without a full motorcycle license - this is the best way to learn driver behaviour and how to ride/drive defensively.

It would also serve to kill off all the really dangerous nutters. :evil:

</soapbox>

Eddie M said:
Crafty, look at it this way, you are 21 and have been involved in 3 accidents that have cost the insurance industry as a whole over £18,000.
Two accidents. And i stress "involved" not "caused".

I appreciate what you're saying and I now do find myself watching other drivers and anticipating if they're going to do something stupid. There are some galactically stupid drivers out there, but most of them just think everyone else is in the wrong. :rolleyes:

The point I'm trying to make, and I'm not suggesting in your accidents that this was the case, is that with experince it is possible to avoid an accident in the first place, your fault or not. Younger drivers often make the mistake of assuming too much and getting caught out by an unexpected situation. Roundabouts are a classic, car coming from right indicating to leave at next hunction, driver pulls out, and bang, driver may have forgotten to cancel indicatior, may well be in the wrong lane etc etc, but it's still an accident, and at best a right PITA.

What are your views about signalling at roundabouts, Crafty?

Sponsored Links
Back