road accident statistics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following another traffic incident with an a driver of eurasian origin, it lead me to question what percentage of road traffic accidents are caused by this group of drivers.
I find that you can obtain the statistics of accidents under the headings gender, age, type of vehicle, time of day, and a host of other headings but there is no mention as far as I can see of race.
I can only presume that this is because it would be classed as racist, and would contravene various laws.
My experience based on many years of driving is that a large number of the younger generation of asians appear to have scant regard for the highway code .
Double yellow lines, parking on bends and pavements, mean nothing to lots of them and they appear in my experienceto be ignored or overlooked by the police.
My point is, is that down to total ignorance of the highway code or simply because many have not even passed their driving tests.
I suspect the latter.
I have no doubt that I will be accused of being racist by raising this question, but surely if my experience is shared by other motorists we should be told the facts regarding the accident statistics of all groups.
If I am wrong then the statistics would show this, but if I am right then the authorities would be able to take corrective action.
What do you think?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure it would be racist to list race/nationality...after all we are forever hearing how 'black boys' do worst at school, or asians do best.

However, I suspect that it could be classed as 'racial descrimination' if insurance companies then set insurance levels due to race - and hence statistics are probably not compiled...

Anyway, round here it's the 'doddery old gits' (of any race) you have to look out for!!

Of course its still acceptable for Insurance companies to be sexist and ageist :mad: e.g. women are safer drivers than men, all young people are terrible drivers

Shame they can't treat people like they do in law - innocent until proven guilty.

Sponsored Links
but surely, insurance companies base their premiums on forecasts and probability?

noseall said:
but surely, insurance companies base their premiums on forecasts and probability?
Me and my friend are both 21.

He is a truly shocking driver - he doesn't seem to know how to use a manual gearbox (he learned and took his test with one) and is constantly looking down at the gearstick to change gear - taking his eyes off the road. He doesn't seem to know when to brake, or how much pressure to apply to any of the pedals to make them work. He's written off his first car (Saxo) in an at fault collision and had a couple of slight bumps in his new one (Clio). I will not ride in his car. Not even alcohol numbs the terror. Would you insure him?

I have been driving for a similar length of time to my friend. My first car died. My second car was written off after 12 months due to a not at fault crash. Insurers recovered all costs. Total costs to other party about £15,000 est. I had an at-fault collision with a motor scooter after 3 months in the new car (I didnt see him because i was pulling off a pavement right next to a parked car on the pavement edge, looking through the car to see if it was clear), cost about £1k to repair my car plus cost of new scooter and injury claim by rider (unknown amounts, probably another thousand). I have made no other claims and my current car is a 1.4 diesel fiesta. I consider myself a competant driver, and know all the driving controls of my car back to front. Would you insure me?

In my opinion both cases are very different, due to driver ABILITY. He is a clumsy driver with little comprehension of the car's controls, whereas I am a very alert and co-ordinated driver. Unfortunately this is something that insurers are unable to pick up on, however I think there should be some psychological test that all new drivers must take before they are allowed on the road, that will tell insurers about their likely driver ability. This, IMO is the key to reducing insurance costs for ABLE young drivers. There must be a way to test.

Then if a person comes out with a poor score and still wants to drive, make them drive an automatic. They require less concentration on the car's controls leaving the driver more of their smaller brain power to look at the road ahead.

noseall said:

Exactly.........Which is why young inexperienced drivers pay more, than elder more experienced drivers do.

It would be impossible to judge each driver separately, financially and logistically.

Crafty......... 2 bad accidents, 21 years old, and you consider your self a good driver..................Hmmmmmmm.

trazor said:
Crafty......... 2 bad accidents, 21 years old, and you consider your self a good driver..................Hmmmmmmm.
bad accidents? nobody died. everyone walked away. one was less than £2k of damage - my fault. the other was £15k of damage - other gits fault and it couldnt have been avoided if i tried.

By "good driver" i mean i know the controls of my car and how to use them without stalling the engine, or even thinking about it.

to get an insight into insurance, look no further than the bookies. ;)

do you think Ladbrookes would put a favourite out at 100/1? me thinks not.

Most eastern Europeans around here don't have any insurance. They crash the car, leg it, and buy another scrapper for 25 quid. Police aren't allowed to target them though - that's racism.

joe-90 said:
Most eastern Europeans around here don't have any insurance. They crash the car, leg it, and buy another scrapper for 25 quid. Police aren't allowed to target them though - that's racism.
Is Eastern European a race?

tim west said:
joe-90 said:
Is Eastern European a race?

I guess it is, just as black or Asian can come from different countries.

I suppose Slavic would cover it.

Sponsored Links
Back