Roof insulation for slanted roof/cealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Our back bedroom has half of it's ceiling horizontal and half following the pitch of the roof.

We have insulated the horizontal part of the roof with standard loft insulation laid flat.

There's no insulation in the slanted part of the ceiling, and in the recent snow you ccould clearly see that the snow would melt there first.

It's virually impossible to slot down rigid insulation down between the rafters and into the small cavity between the ceiling and pitch of the roof. It's about 1.5m by 5m in total.

The slates are nailed to battens so also lots of nails poking out.

Is it possible to inject between the rafters, slates and ceiling with some kind of exapnding insulation foam?

I could just manage to get my arm to the top part but not all the way to sofit/fascia area, the loft space is very narrow and awkward to work in.

Ps. the room is deocrated and finished, so ideally dont want to be ripping the old lathe and paster ceiling down!

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea. You will cause all sorts of condensation issues which will eventually wreck your roof. My advice is underboard your sloping ceiling with a thermal plasterboard. Ideally you'd remove the existing ceiling and fit insulation part between rafters and part continuous layer under. But if that would be too much work just leave the ceiling in place and fix through with long screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back