Rough Cost ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey peeps.
I need my old fuse board replaced with a 5 way RCD consumer unit and then an electrical safety cert done in prep for renting.
we have a 2 bed bungalow, gas cooker so only need lighting circuit, sockets and one for shower.

just so i know, roughly what price should I be looking at when we find someone to do it?
just want to make sure we're not ripped off by any cowboys.

many thanks

Scott, in Essex

Sponsored Links
just so i know, roughly what price should I be looking at when we find someone to do it?
You would really want to be installing a unit that has the facility of more than one RCD device, so as it is a rental I would suggest a dual RCD board rather than a single RCD protected board, that would lose complete power to the property if this tripped.

just want to make sure we're not ripped off by any cowboys.

Well don't employ cowboys then, but that does not automatically make you exempt from being ripped of, even the Indians (competent) electricians can be of the nature of high demand in cost!

You best bet is to get three quotes ideally from electricians you have heard good report on and chose one, there will be a requirement for this work to be notified a registered electrician (on a domestic installers scheme register) can arrange this for you at a lesser cost, but one that is not registered will have a hefty fee to pay.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

I would recommend that an electrical installation condition report was made on the installation prior to unit change, just in case there is a problem fitting the new unit. So depending on this and any remedial/updating work that is required, a cost can then be quoted. Without this, it is anyones guess!

Sponsored Links
an electrical safety cert done in prep for renting.
There is no such thing as an 'electrical safety cert.' for rented property.

As has been said you may commission an Electrical Inspection Condition Report.
This, if done properly, will cost £150 upwards.

Anyone offering a 'Landlord Safety Certificate' for anything like £40 is making it up.

Anyone offering a 'Landlord Safety Certificate' for anything like £40 is making it up.
I hear a lot of talk about tradesmen stating they can do the I&T/report for fees of this type and rattle through 4 or 5 properties a day, bugger knows how they manage this on properties and installations they are unfamiliar with.

Presumably the same way the gas guys do it.

I had one at the previous rented place who came in, squinted thru the viewing window of the boiler and said "looks reet", did a quick leak test filled in the paperwork and left.

It's a piece of pyss for the gas certs though, generally only have a couple of thing to look at and a couple of tests to carry out!

Presumably the same way the gas guys do it.
I had one at the previous rented place who came in, squinted thru the viewing window of the boiler and said "looks reet", did a quick leak test filled in the paperwork and left.
i have seen those as well.

However, some do do it much more thoroughly; removing, checking and cleaning parts.

It's like the MoT.
Do you just want the piece of paper or do you actually want to know if there is something wrong with the car?

It's a piece of pyss for the gas certs though, generally only have a couple of thing to look at and a couple of tests to carry out!
Yes, but there is a specific form for them to complete.

There is no equivalent for electrics.
Unfortunately the law regarding electric safety for let properties is a little vague in comparison to gas.
But the landlord does have a duty of care to the tenant and a legal responsibility to prove the property is electrically safe, and until a model form for this purpose is produced and accepted as suitable by the powers that be, then as an electrician I can only offer an EICR to my landlord clients as a suitable document to confirm the electrical safety of their property.

I agree and was not contradicting you.

However, until there is a standard form for a 'Landlord Safety Check' anything stating that is fictitious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back