RSJ Spacers - Are they needed?

Sponsored Links
If helpful pictures added.

I'd be putting spacers in that,

The spacers are so the beam doesn't flex when pulled tight, (and it does trust me, put a dial gauge on it then tighten it)

Over time the metal will relax and the bolts will become loose, because they are not bolted solid against something.

Although now their in place the chances of them then flexing to a degree where the house will fall down is pretty remote.

I'd be putting spacers in that,

The spacers are so the beam doesn't flex when pulled tight, (and it does trust me, put a dial gauge on it then tighten it) The web or the beam in the Y - Y direction ?

Over time the metal will relax and the bolts will become loose, because they are not bolted solid against something. Does that mean all the suspension bridges cables will start expanding/drooping and pre tensioned lintels will fail after a time ?

Although now their in place the chances of them then flexing to a degree where the house will fall down is pretty remote. Probably non existent unless the SE has got his calcs totally wrong

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.
SE has recommended welding 10mm steel plate to the underside of the steel beams. Although this is the same SE firm commissioned by the builder who forgot to add a point load to the beam calcs.

I have also reached out to a friend of a friend who is an SE. He said that as the flanges are butted he would recommend a 100mm of 4mm weld be run along the bottom flange of the beam at each bolt position.
(I'm guessing he is referring perhaps to stich welding, will ask him to clarify).

Will be sure to post once we've come to final conclusion on how to remedy. That said, the beams have been up a few months and no movement yet.

Yes, spacers between steel beams create load sharing and noggins deal with deflection by the same principle. Not beliefs, facts.

And for others reading, if you go to good steel suppliers, they weld the spacers on to one beam around the holes they drill for the bolts. Prevents messing about with them, or dodgy builders not fitting them.
Dereekoo is correct; tube spacers don't enable the beams to 'work together'; in fact connecting beams in that way is specifically forbidden by BS5950. Each beam should be capable of satisfying bending and deflection on its own.

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.
SE has recommended welding 10mm steel plate to the underside of the steel beams. Although this is the same SE firm commissioned by the builder who forgot to add a point load to the beam calcs.

I have also reached out to a friend of a friend who is an SE. He said that as the flanges are butted he would recommend a 100mm of 4mm weld be run along the bottom flange of the beam at each bolt position.
(I'm guessing he is referring perhaps to stich welding, will ask him to clarify).

Will be sure to post once we've come to final conclusion on how to remedy. That said, the beams have been up a few months and no movement yet.
If the beams have been up a few months, why bother? The solutions offered by your SE and the 'friend of friend' are also pointless, but they make you think something 'positive' has been done.

Dereekoo is correct; tube spacers don't enable the beams to 'work together'; in fact connecting beams in that way is specifically forbidden by BS5950. Each beam should be capable of satisfying bending and deflection on its own.
Unless two beams are designed to work as one beam

If two beams were designed to work as one they would need more than just a few bolts and spacers.

Simply bolting the webs of two beams together at 1.5m centres isn’t a sufficient way to share the load between beams.
I would agree. I can't imagine a few bolts and some poxy tube will do any good when one leaf is loaded with 100 tonne and the other 5 tonne. And Woody's analogy using floor joist solid bridging as a comparison is flawed because the external faces of the beams are unrestrained and can flex outwards unlike a solid bridged floor joist array - plus only the beam centre is being pulled in.

I like the idea that the flanges are touching. At least you can crank up the pressure on the bolts knowing the beams are going to behave.

There are no flaws in the floor analogy. But there are some spacers in peoples beam knowledge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back